remington 1100 for duck hunting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevdeg16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    New Orleans
    I can get a deal on a 2 yr old remington 1100 series 12ga semi-auto, however, its a clay gun. Its chambered in 2 3/4 and 30inch barrel. My question, can this be realistically used as a duck gun? I know its not the ideal set up, im aware, but I am not Joe Hunter, so I don't know for sure, I've only hunted like 5 times and only used pumps, longest being 28inches. Just curious though.

Last edited:

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    That was my first duck gun. I however quickly graduated to a 3" mag. It wasn't a big deal back in the lead shot day but with steel you want at least 3" mag. If you ever hunt geese, save your money and buy a gun that shoots everything up to 3.5.

If price is an issue you can't go wrong with an 870.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Ditto the above....My Dad bought an 1100 back in the '60s.....He shot the hell out of it and fed us well with it over the decades. I still have it, still shoot it, & it's still in immaculate condition.

However, since the switch to steel shot, 3" shells are more better.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    If it is a full choke, I'd look at another barrel or gun. 1100s are good guns, but I would still keep an extra set of gas rings in my wallet. They're cheap and sometimes you lose them if you have to strip the gun in the field.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I know this is going against what everyone is saying about 2-3/4" vs 3", but I have bought many cases of 2 3/4" high brass when I was trying to save money and I could knock em down as good as other guys in the blind shooting 3". I say if it's a good deal, then get the gun. But just as Bob and Smith said, make sure it's not full choke for steel.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ducks don't know the diff between 2 3/4 and 3". They both shoot at the same power level, one just has more pellets. I've never felt under gunned with my 2 3/4 1100. It's killed just about everything there is to shoot in Louisiana.
    When duck hunting in the swamp, I shoot 1 1/4 oz. #4's in an Imp. Cyl. In the marsh I swap to #2's and Modified choke.
    Shooting steel changes up your choke choices. Steel doesn't like a lot of choke. Full choke tends to string the pattern out more. You'll find that the looser chokes pattern steel better.
    If that 1100 your'e looking at has changeable chokes and the price is right, put the pimp hand on it. Also consider that 12 ga. 1100 barrels are pretty affordable. You can easily swap out barrels. I prefer a 26".
    And don't sweat the gas rings. In 30+ years, I have never had one fail. The same can't be said about the Browning A5 or Winchester SX1 that I tried.

Last edited:

Kevdeg16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    New Orleans
    I ended up picking up a remington 887 nitromag for around 250 the other day. I hear its either love it or hate it, great or crap. I'm going out tomorrow morning for my first hunt with it so I'll see how it goes. picked up a few 3 1/2's for kicks, haha literally

Last edited:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I ended up picking up a remington 887 nitromag for around 250 the other day. I hear its either love it or hate it, great or crap. I'm going out tomorrow morning for my first hunt with it so I'll see how it goes. picked up a few 3 1/2's for kicks, haha literally

I wish you luck with that...

Kevdeg16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    New Orleans
    it shot just fine actually, knocked down the first duck I shot at. I had one issue though with a jam, but I wasnt pumping it all the way so it was my fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom