Remington 700 Sps Tactical

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I just bought this rifle about 2 weeks ago because I got a deal with the whole tax free weekend thing. It's a .308 and has an AAC 20" bull barrel(Pre-threaded) in a hogue stock. I would like to use this gun for deer hunting as well as target shooting out to 500 yds max. The trigger no doubt has to be replaced as it still has the recalled x-mark pro on it. Can I get some recommendations on triggers, base mounts, scopes, muzzle breaks etc? I've been looking at alot of options but as you all
    know the Rem 700 has accessories for days and can be alittle over whelming when trying to decide. Any help would be much appreciated.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The last rail I bought for my 5r was a Larue LT113s-20MOA. I found it well built for the price. Only brand I am not particularly fond of is EGW.
    If you have not considered it, you may want a 20moa scope rail. At 500y you should be ok (depending on the built in elevation adjustment of your scope), but I would recommend one for 600y+.

Rifle basix triggers are pretty good for your intended use. Be careful adjusting on it, or better yet..... Have a competent person install it and set it. If it is not set properly, the gun can fire when you lift/lower the bolt handle. Jewel and Temney are 2 other options. I prefer a jewel for competitive shooting. Note that some stocks require inletting for a Jewel.

I put a OPS Inc. R3E2C muzzle brake on a 700 tactical I had. It was very effective and matched the barrel diameter.

As for glass, buy once and cry once. Not a place to skimp. Don't know what your budget is but there are options from Vortex to Leupold to Schmidt Bender. And don't forget a nice set of rings. Seekins, badger, the list goes on.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Just to add, looking for glass, rings, mounts, ect. locally there is no place better than Interstate Guns in Hammond.
    They are a sponsor here and are great guys to deal with. Shoot Chris a PM or stop by if you can, you won't be disappointed.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks Mickey. I actually bought the gun from Interstate Guns. Good peeps, so i will go back for accessories. For stocks,
    bell & carlson?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    First thing you need to do is get rid of that factory stock. Then everything mickey said.

Lol. Yeah, this is true.
    If you grab the forend and squeeze gently it will touch the barrel.
    But as for the intended use of a hunting rifle and plinker, it should shoot under 1 MOA with it. Or at least mine did.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks Mickey. I actually bought the gun from Interstate Guns. Good peeps, so i will go back for accessories. For stocks,
    bell & carlson?

There are many options out there. It's best to try a few out to see what is most comfortable for you but Manners and McMillan should definitely be ones to consider. You may be able to find an HS precision factory take off at a good price if that is what you are looking for.
    I prefer the AI chassis, although sometimes they need skim bedding to shoot. Some say that they feel like shooting a 2x4, but they are comfortable to me.
    Just recently ordered a Manners T5A to put a 700 5r 308 in to serve as a hunting rifle. Manners makes a great product and the customer service is second to none. I purchased the mini chassis built into it that accepts AI mags. Plans are to shoot it when it comes in to see if it needs bedding. If I see horizontal grouping it is off to be bedded.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If working on a budget then I would wait to swap out the stock. You're on the right track wanting to put a better trigger on the gun. I like Rifle Basix for the money, but prefer to shoot with a Jewel. When it comes to rings and mounts don't go cheap. Just be sure not to put steel rings on an aluminum rail. I love Seekins (all aluminum) or Badger Ordinance (all steel). Optics is everything.....I'd rather shoot a stock SPS tac. with solid mounts and high quality scope than to sink $1000-$1250 in a stock and have to cut that out of my optics budget.

Give Randy at R&D Precision a shout and see if he has any of the MRAD muzzle brakes in stock. It's extremely effective and removable so you can shoot F-class if you ever want to try that and a little less noise for when hunting.
    http://rdprecision.net/parts/

saggitarius449

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Olla, LA
    EGW makes a good 20 MOA rail.
    Also check out Burris XTR rings. I use both on my rifle and I am very pleased with them. My AAC-SD shot less than .5 MOA out of the box. Buy a good scope first and then just start upgrading a little bit at a time. I'm about 18 months into mine, but she's getting there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410808642.413874.jpg
    Before

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410808661.129992.jpg
    After

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    recommendations on triggers.

Timney 510. Good trigger. Wont break the bank.

base mounts,

LaRue actually makes a decent 20MOA base thats cheap compared to Badger Ord...

Sky is the limit. How much you wanna spend? If youre just shooting to 500, no need to go insane with one of the 25x scopes. 10x will get you out to a grand. 3-12 is my preferred magnification.

muzzle breaks

Suppress it.

R700s are barbi dolls for men, dress it as you see fit. The stock on yours is gash. Get a Manners or McMillan.

The glass is the one thing to not cheap out on. Buy as much as you can afford. I run S&B PMII on 3-12 on two of my rifles. I have a 5-25 as well, but she rarely gets dialed past 15x.

If youre not looking to break the bank, look at the Vortex PST line up or even the SWFA scopes.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Good stuff, thanks for the help guys. As far as glass I was looking at some of the Trijicons, any opinions on them?

Last edited:

NOLAShootist

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    NOLA / NorthShore
    Good stuff, thanks for the help guys. As far as glass I was looking at some of the Trijicons, any opinions on them?

Ive shot their 3-15 TARS. Glass was decent. Knobs were good. Reticle selection sucked. IIRC, they only had one or two MIL models. But, for the price theyre asking for them, there are much better options on the market.

What kind of a budget are you looking at for the glass portion of this project?

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Timney Triggers or the Rifle Basix

base mounts
    The talley pic rails are nice and don't break the bank. We've never had an issue with them of the Nightforce base.

In no particular order:
    The Vortex PST series offers a lot of bang for the buck. Matching turret/reticle system. Zero stop. FFP/SPF configuration. Illumination.
    http://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-pst-rifle-scopes.aspx

I'm really liking the new Burris XTRII scopes and they are selling faster than we can get them in. Since becoming part of Beretta Defense, they are able to share technology with Steiner and turn out a pretty impressive product.

Matching turret/reticle. Mechanical zerostop. Illumination. FFP.
    http://www.sportoptics.com/burris-xtreme-tactical-II-scopes.aspx

The issue with the Trijicon 5-20 is the MOA turret/Mil reticle configuration, no zero stop, and the total amount of adjustment in the 5-20 sucks.

muzzle breaks/stocks
    Plenty of good choices out there.

I see a lot of guys at PRS matches running Surefire SOCOM, APA, OPS Inc.

If you want to go with an AICS or AXCS we can help with that. I need to order some anyway.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    If you want to put yourself and the rifle through its paces, check out "Phobos Presents Precision Rifle (DDM) 9/27 & 9/28 Covington". You will get a ton of info on what to get and what to stay away from. Lewis is an awesome shooter on this platform and as a result uses said platform as the goto guy for his agency.

You will also get to shoot out to at least 450yrds during the class.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?132664-Phobos-Presents-Precision-Rifle-(DDM)-9-27-amp-9-28-Covington-LA-500&highlight=phobos

Last edited:

benjandpurge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Lafayette
    ".....I'd rather shoot a stock SPS tac. with solid mounts and high quality scope than to sink $1000-$1250 in a stock and have to cut that out of my optics budget."

Good advice right there...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom