Remington 742 in NOLA needs super cleaning!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Fellow Bayou Shooters:
    My buddy is looking for a competent gunsmith between NOLA and Baton Rouge who can take apart his deceased Dad's venerable Remington 742 semi-auto rifle (that was unfortunately immersed in Katrina's waters) and give it a thorough disassembly and cleaning.
    The rifle got a serious dousing of Break Free after it was recovered from their home after Katrina, and he says it should still be functional -- nothing is rusted frozen or anything like that internally -- but he wants to be sure it has a clean bill of health, so to speak!
    He is also interested in replacing the rifle barrel with the shorter "carbine" version barrel, but that might be too tall an order for anybody to fulfill..?..?
    Any gunsmith suggestions, besides the Gretna Gun Works crew?

J

jayd

I'm sure it could be done for a price, but the reason you find so many 742s in pawnshops is because they aren't the most robust design ;)

Maybe he should keep it as a sentimental wall hanger?

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Jayd, sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.
    Any competant gunsmith can take the rifle down as needed. The big thing is to get the chamber clean. One way to do this is remove the barrel and clean and hone the chamber. While it's at the shop, the barrel can be cut down and recrowned.
    The trigger assembly is easy enough to clean. Some solvent and compressed air does the trick. Oil lightly.
    I know Reynersons in Baton Rouge (Central) can do the work and they are someone I trust.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    In Metairie, you can call A-1 on W Esplanade @ 504-454-2312 and ask if it is something he can handle. There is a BS sponsor James Louque in Gramercy @ 225-206-1908, but don't know if he does smithing.

Either way, report back to us with what you find. I haven't used either for gun smithing though and cannot really recommend one over the other. My father in law goes to the guy in Metairie

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I know the 742 has a reputation for not being reliable , but I have also heard other folks say that if you keep it clean and lubed , it will function just fine .

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I know the 742 has a reputation for not being reliable , but I have also heard other folks say that if you keep it clean and lubed , it will function just fine .

I have one in 6mm that's older than a lot of the members here and it has never let me down and shoots a damn good group too.

Top Bottom