Remington Model 700 malfunction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hokie74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Assumption Parish
    On a hunt last weekend, one of the hunters had a malfunction of his Remington Model 700 in 300 win mag. At the end of the hunt, as he prepared to leave the stand, he was going to unload the weapon. The gun fired when he pushed the safety off in order to cycle the bolt. Fortunately, the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction. The only damage was a hole in the stand and possibly some laundry issues.
    The owner was able to reproduce the malfunction, with an unloaded weapon, on return to the camp. The malfunction would not happen with the gun horizontal, vertical down, or vertical up. Only when about 10 deg. past vertical up, that is, the position your rifle is normally in with the butt on the ground, leaning against the corner of the stand.
    Has anyone else heard of similar malfunctions?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    There have been reports recently about Rem 700s having this very issue. I understand that it is on the older models. I have two recent 700s and have no issues but your friend should have it looked at by a gunsmith.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    do some google searching... there was recently a big thing in the news about Remington 700's malfunctioning. I had never heard of it before then, but I've heard of several since then.

Just reminds you to always be safe.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Saw this on an hour long special. Had bunch of actual video of this happening on the firing line of some .mil sniper schools. Instructors called them "Remington Moments" and moved along. Crazy when Remmy said it doesn't happen and then 10 clips of snipers students making the rifle fire by simply clicking the safety.:eek:

ebayareaguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Slidell,La.
    There is a write up in latest American Rifleman issue (Jan.2011) about the show CNBC aired on Oct.20 called Remington Under Fire.A search should lead to help or repair solutions.Good luck.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Does your friends have a trigger job done to it? This is something you have to be very cautious of when doing remmy triggers.

Top Bottom