Remington Model 7600

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    All I know is my friends dad has used the same one in .30-06 for about 30 yrs. Killed a ****-ton of deer with it and just recently bought another in .308 w/ synthetic stock.

I say it's good to go as a hunting rifle.

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    All I know is my friends dad has used the same one in .30-06 for about 30 yrs. Killed a ****-ton of deer with it and just recently bought another in .308 w/ synthetic stock.

I say it's good to go as a hunting rifle.

Im looking at synthetic as Im rough on guns that I hunt with and dont wanna scratch up some pretty wood

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    Pump is for shotguns. I wouldnt go pump rifle if i was hunting deer with it IMO.

Any reason other than its for shotguns? I dont see how this would be much different in the way it operates from a lever action other than moving from a different angle --- Its still just moving it back and forth. I mean Im not FE but I dont see how it would be much different. Thats why Im posting to find out if its a good set up or not.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I played around with a pump .22 in my younger days and it worked, just felt like it was an unnecessary step on a .22. So compared to a bolt gun I guess you can say that your hand doesnt ever have to leave the firearm to chamber the next round. Shooting off a supported position you would have to lift the weapon to rack the slide as opposed to leaving it supported and working the bolt.

Just food for thought

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My brother in law has been shooting a Rem. pump .243 for years and has killed many deer. Most were one shot kills.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Accuracy is supposively not as good as a bolt gun, more in line with the 7400 semiauto. Not bad, just not as good...

For the money I'd go with the bolt.

Dustyhunts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I have hunted with a 7600 in a 270 for about 17 years and I can tell you that some of what has been said I don't agree with the one I shoot is very accurate, the gun by design has a free floating barrel, it has a lockin bolt just as a bolt action but it is operated by the pump, it is very quick to aquire a target, as I did in the past hunt quite a bit of dog hunting for deer, I think where some may have a problem with trigger control (it has a long travel) which may cause some some accuracy issue as that is the only area of the of the gun in my opion that could use some improvement. JMO

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    I have hunted with a 7600 in a 270 for about 17 years and I can tell you that some of what has been said I don't agree with the one I shoot is very accurate, the gun by design has a free floating barrel, it has a lockin bolt just as a bolt action but it is operated by the pump, it is very quick to aquire a target, as I did in the past hunt quite a bit of dog hunting for deer, I think where some may have a problem with trigger control (it has a long travel) which may cause some some accuracy issue as that is the only area of the of the gun in my opion that could use some improvement. JMO

So it needs a trigger job badly from the factory. --- note taken

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    The thing with a pump gun is that when you're hunting deer, you usually have the gun rested on something to shoot. If you have to fire a follow up shot you have to pick the gun up from rest and pump it, making the target acquisition slower for the follow up. Most shots in deer hunting are one shot, one kill or one shot and wound it and go find it. I've never needed to shoot a follow up shot, but I shoot a bolt gun in case.

Top Bottom