Remington or Mossberg?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I just picked up a Remington 870 tonight. I don't think it is the police but I'm not sure. It does have a 20" barrel and with the 870's track record Im sure it won't let me down. I had a mossberg a little while back and never had a hiccup with about 200 shells through it.

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If you're planning to put a pistol grip type stock on it I'd go with the Remington. I saw a video awhile back and with a pistol grip stock, the 870 safety is much easier/faster to access because it's right by the trigger guard. On the mossy, the safety is on the top rear of the receiver which is more easily accessed if you have a standard stock.

just my .02..

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I have the 870P and 500. Both are good guns, lots of aftermarket parts. Of course minor differences between the two. Both get the job done and go bang. But they're not my duck hunting shotguns ;)

aleks61

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I bought an 870 with a factory installed +2 mag extension and it was a no go! The magazine spring would get caught inside the magazine tube and the shells would flop around. The mossberg is good to go! Just my $0.02

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    both are nearly identical in build quality, and close in design.

tho remy has supposedly been having qc issues on some guns, not sure if shotguns fall in that group.

personally i prefer the mossy because of the safety position. its just more natural to me.

the remy has a slight edge in accessories tho.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    The only upsides I've seen on the mossberg are the location of the safety ( with a normal butt stock, not a pistol grip) and the screwed in ejector that you can replace without special tools. I've only seen one ejector break in an 870 and it had to go to a gunsmith for the replacement, but the smoothness of a 870 cannot be denied and they are all we own now.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've shot both, and prefer the 870. Don't like the safety on the Mossy, it's stuck on me while trying to disengage it more than once. Both seem to shoot about the same.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So can the 870. Ever noticed the step-down on the front half-inch or so of factory Remington extended mag tubes? That step happens to be the same diameter as the M16 flash hider. There is a barrel band support bracket available that latches the bayonet in place.

Well whaddya know... learn somethin' new every day.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    BTW, my favorite shotgun I've owned is a $150 Winchester 120 Ranger that had the barrel cut down. Light, handles well.... Shoots well. Recoil is surprisingly mild considering the weight.

Cleburne

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Thibodaux
    I have one of each and like 'em both, though I am partial to the 870 with its steel receiver. Whichever you choose, might I suggest you scour the auction houses for a used bolt assembly? I've picked up one for each of my shottys for roughly $20 - 25.00 each. This is a good source of replacement parts should you need a new firing pin, extractor, etc, or even a quick fix by replacing the whole assembly if the one you're using gives up the ghost for whatever reason.

MONK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I bought an 870 with a factory installed +2 mag extension and it was a no go! The magazine spring would get caught inside the magazine tube and the shells would flop around. The mossberg is good to go! Just my $0.02

I bought a LH 870 in about 1995. Before I figured out I was much faster with a "rightie". Anyway, it had detents that were integral to the magazine tube. I had to drill those out so it would accept the tube extension and longer spring. Worked like a charm after that.

Edit. I knew my mentor would know this. Wouldn't have mentioned it had I read ahead

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I like the mossy although I still have one very old 870
    Got 7 mossy with 2 being field guns (500 & 535) A couple 500's in pistol grip, 2 500ATP's and one 590 pistol grip I bought at academy for $219 and put in a butler creek steel folder about 12 years ago. Never any issues with any of them. I had a real positive experience with mossberg (the company) about 5 years ago when I bought a youth model 500 in 20ga for my son from a friend who couldn't get it to cycle rounds. Somehow the extractor came up missing... Screw and all, before the friend bought it from a pawn shop. They wouldn't take it back so I offered my friend $100 for it.
    Called mossberg and received a new extractor and screw in the mail within the week for about 15 bucks. My son still hunts with it every season and has since bought a scoped slug barrel for it.

Best bet if you're torn between the two would be to find a way to go and shoot both and see which way you lean. Either way, you can't go wrong.

MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I like both the 870 and the 500, but for me the tipping point was the safety on the 500.

The 500 has the fastest and easy-to-use safety on a hunting firearm, and exactly matches my doubles.

I also like the ease of loading the 500 when in haste, with its open configuration.

The gun has been flawless.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Mossy or Remington? Well hell, the answer is obvious.

Get both.

I have both. I love them both. And nothing wrong with a Winchester either.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The only mossberg with a safety that I like, regardless of pistol grip or buttstock is the Maverick. It's next to the trigger. The top safety on all the rest has me terrified I'd bump it without realizing it and be on safe when I go to pull the trigger.

Top Bottom