Remington outlook poor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    From Yahoo Finance:

Remington is struggling with more than $1 billion of debt as sales slump. Consumers who initially rushed to purchase a gun in late 2012 out of fear about stricter laws have pulled back on purchases.

“People who intended to buy a gun in three years bought one then,” said Dougherty & Co. senior research analyst Andrea James.

Remington is also facing an expensive recall that could cost more than $25 million, said a source. This month the company said it would replace millions of triggers after reports that guns would fire without being triggered.

More troubling, nine parents of children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School sued the gun maker last week over the rifle wielded by Adam Lanza.

The situation “spells disaster” for Remington, said a source familiar with the company’s financials.

Remington has seen its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization fall from $240 million last year to $125 million this year, the source said. Revenue has fallen from $1.25 billion last year to $1 billion in 2014.

In October, Moody’s Investors Service downgraded Remington’s debt to B2, or high credit risk.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Several others are in a financial bind as well including HK. HK needs to expand the VP line and drop the slow sellers pronto. Everything Gun related has slowed down in 2014 compared to 2012/2013.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    HK could increase their profitability considerably if they produced US made non-NFA versions of the UMP45, MP series, and G36. I know I would be down for an MP7, UMP45 and a 94. I'm actually surprised we havent seen an effort to do that yet. You would think it was just a matter of shipping tooling from Germany to the U.S. production facility and staffing. Makes a lot more sense than the SL8

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    How does a company like Remington end up with so much debt? Sounds like poor management to me in an industry like firearms.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    It's not Remington but the entire Freedom Group that's in trouble.

Between the two 700 trigger recalls, the failed R51, Bushmaster's slumping sales, and money invested on ridiculous products like the 2020 it's no wonder why they are in deep in debt.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    HK could increase their profitability considerably if they produced US made non-NFA versions of the UMP45, MP series, and G36. I know I would be down for an MP7, UMP45 and a 94. I'm actually surprised we havent seen an effort to do that yet. You would think it was just a matter of shipping tooling from Germany to the U.S. production facility and staffing. Makes a lot more sense than the SL8

Well what do you expect from a company that wants chase Military and LEO contracts and only sells certain items on the civilian side. I agree if they would build those rifles here and make them available to the public it would probably help their sales.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    I don't think Remington is too big to fail. I just don't think they will....someone will snatch em up. They're still in the black...they'll dump the money losers and return to focusing on the key brands. The lawsuit will be settled, the recall is gonna be expensive, but they won't fail

Top Bottom