remove country of origin?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6cyclone6

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    BATON ROUGE
    Does anyone know if the batfe will be upset if i remove the country of origin from my pistol when refinishing it? it is stamped on the dustcover and i was going to weld it up and smooth it before refinishing. I saw that guns being manufactured must have this info stamped, but i dont know if it must be retained.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Interesting question. I once had a "Blue Sky" imported Garand. All the import markings were on the barrel but the barrel was shot out, so I rebarrelled it, effectively removing the import markings. It seems that if the import markings had to remain after entry, they would be on the receiver, instead of some part that may end up being replaced.

Another, related question: Would it be an unlawful altering of the serial number to "repeat" it in a new location when mounting an accessory that may cover the original? What about professionally engraving the same number in a nice font over the often shallow and sloppy factory number? Is it OK, generally illegal but OK if properly reported, or unconditionally illegal? Then, what about a serial number that's illegible due to normal wear?

Top Bottom