Removing Crimp From Primer Pockets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    What tool/technique are y'all using to remove primer pocket crimps? I have a pocket reamer but have heard that using a tool like Dillion's is supposed to be better. What is your input on this?

Thanks

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    I have Dillon's Swage. It is one overbuilt piece of tooling and works just fine. I haven't used mine much as loading .223/5.56 was way more a PITA than .45 ACP.

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I broke down and got the Dillon tool, but I also made this little thing a while back for a variety of cleaning chores. You can put in a case holder like shown or a primer pocket cleaner. You can work with your right hand and lean on the trigger bar with your left. I already had the right angle drill I just made a cradle to hold it.

BENCH 002.jpg

Djewell87

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    BR
    I guess what I'm wondering is, do need to get a swager or would my reamer that chucks into my drill be all that I need. I've read some places that you should do both. If I do get a swager should I get the rcbs or the Dillion

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I guess what I'm wondering is, do need to get a swager or would my reamer that chucks into my drill be all that I need.
    Did the reamer in a drill thing for a while. Problem is that the results were inconsistent. Most times I'd get the crimp out but sometimes not. Then I got a batch of PMC .223 brass and it was a complete PITA. Lots of problems getting that batch to accept a primer.

Threw in the towel and got the Dillon swager. Should have done this long ago. Faster than the drill and reamer method. Consistent as every case is swaged the same. Most important, it's done once with no rejects.

quigleysharps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Kansas
    I've been eyeballing that Dillon for a long time myself, but I'm still using my little RCBS trim mate...maybe one day I'll get one.

saint451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Hammond
    I use the Dillon...pockets are consistant and makes priming seem easier. Mount it on a board, sit in front of the TV and swage away.

alfalfa

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I use the Dillon too. With a string and rubber band it made going through lots of military brass a breeze.

Top Bottom