Removing the Bircage Flash Hider on Colt 6920? Replace with??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I'm trying to take the one off of my rifle to switch with a compensator I picked up for cheap, but I feel like I'm about to snap the barrel off!! It doesn't want to budge.

Any tips/tricks I should know about?? This is a right hand threaded barrel, correct?? Would sticking this in a padded vise be safe, or would it damage the receiver?

Thanks guys - DAVE

A good strap wrench may help, as long as it isn't a welded or pinned post-ban ;)

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, I got the one off of my Stag, but I'm trying to switch the one over from a friend's Armalite.

I can get his to rotate about 1/4", but it locks back up. I'm afraid that if I strain any harder, I'll most likely crap in my pants. It looks as if it's got an aluminum crush washer underneath it.

Could it have some sort of carbon build up on the threads??

DAVE

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Well, I got the one off of my Stag, but I'm trying to switch the one over from a friend's Armalite.

I can get his to rotate about 1/4", but it locks back up. I'm afraid that if I strain any harder, I'll most likely crap in my pants. It looks as if it's got an aluminum crush washer underneath it.

DAVE

Yes, it probably has a crush washer and carbon build up or some corrosion is a possibility. Drip some Kroil into the threads and let it sit for a while. Then repeat.

Kroil is the best penetrating oil I've ever found. Works great to clean barrels, too. Cuts carbon and other residue extremely well.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA

DAVE

Take a picture please. I have an armalite that had a nice, shiny silver washer (it actually wasnt a washer, but some kind of solder thingamajigger), and it was pinned. you could NOT tell it was, since it was pinned and then parked. I ended up cutting it down each side wtih a dremel cutoff wheel and splitting it with a chisel. you *might* be able to see some evidence of the pin, but mine was super stealthy. The one on the armalite is a muzzle brake or flash hider? does the armalite have a bayonet lug? if it doesn't I'd put money its pinned.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    It has a compensator, almost like the Miculek one but with only 4 (2 on each side) ports.

The reason why I don't think it's pinned is because the Armalite website says it comes with the regular A2 flash hider. The PO had to have changed it at one time.

Maybe I'm wrong :confused::confused:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    It has a compensator, almost like the Miculek one but with only 4 (2 on each side) ports.

The reason why I don't think it's pinned is because the Armalite website says it comes with the regular A2 flash hider. The PO had to have changed it at one time.

Maybe I'm wrong :confused::confused:

I bought my first AR (Armalite) back in 95 or so, and it had a compensator like you mention with a silvery washer-ish thing due to the ban, and it was pinned. does it have a bayonet lug? I bet it doesn't. if you look really closely you may be able to see a spot that is about 1/8" diameter that doesnt look just right, in the same direction as the taper pins of the FSB on the lower portion of the brake. if you do not want that brake on there, carefully cut down the length of it on the top and bottom with a cutoff wheel, careful not to damage the threads underneath, and once you get down deep, split it with a chisel. you can then clean up the threads where it was drilled for the pin and screw on a F/H of your choice.

Was this a gun purchased after september '04?

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    just get an upper reciever plastic vise block, it makes this task 200% easier and will also allow bbl replacement with an ar15 mulit tool

Top Bottom