Renting firearms as "Prop Guns"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I was contacted by a local movie producer in search of some firearms for one of his upcoming films. I informed him that all of my firearms were live weapons, but they would all have their bolts/firing pins/hammers/bang devices removed for safety. Basically, I don't want these guns to be operational by any means. I also told him that the magazines would be blocked, and that no ammunition would be allowed on set.

Other than writing up some sort of agreement that covers my ass if anyone decided to faceplant into the barrel of one, what else would I need to do to ensure everyone's safety? Chamber markers and a watchful eye are already accounted for.

Also, does anyone have a resource where I could get a decent legal agreement that waives me of any responsibility? I don't want some kid trying to sue me because he pinches his finger on an old Win 1897...

-Dave

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have lots of experience with this. The legit movies all get their guns from a company in California called ISS. They have blank firing versions of pretty much every gun ever made. The lesser legit movies will get their guns from wherever. You should ask to be hired as an on set weapons consultant. You could then babysit your guns. Their is an established method of gun handling on a professional set. I can forward you a document that outlines the method.

You could probably get $400/day for yourself as a weapons prop master and another $500/day for your guns depending on how many you are bringing. My rule of thumb is rental is 1/20th the value of the gear per week.

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't think you would want to shut them down 100% from the first exchange. The would surely work with you, if it makes sense for them.

Top Bottom