Replacing Windows/Fence

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Ok, guys. I put an offer in on the a house in Slidell. It was accepted, but we still have to go through all the inspections, appraisals, etc...

Two things that I want/need to do. 1) REPLACE the windows... these things are original to the house. We're talking 30-40 years old, single pane, sheet glass windows. They HAVE to go, but I realize that stuff is pretty expensive. I'm pretty handy around the house and can easily follow directions. Do you guys think I should buy the windows and install them myself or pay someone to do it? I'm on a limited budget so if it's something I can do myself with a few tools bought, I'd like to do that.

2) Needs a privacy fence. It has a chain length fence that runs down each side of the back yard and then a wooden fence that runs along the back (I think installed by the city as the "nice" side is facing the house and it blocks off access to I59 and a small creek. I want to have a fence installed (or again, do myself) down each of the sides that connects to the rear fence. One issue is there are 4 or 5 adolescent trees right along the fence line that may need to be removed. Any idea what that would cost to have done? Fence and tree removal?

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    To possibly save some bucks on the windows, get the measurements and check the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store at 747 Old Spanish Trail. They sometimes have new condition windows that have been donated but not used on a project, and you might be able to get a reasonable price.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    A very good friend of mine's company, good service, and prices.
    Doors & windows.
    Jarratt's Door & Window Company
    (985) 542-6250
    12605 Wardline Rd, Hammond, LA 70401

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I say ,,save yo money man.DO it yourself.That way you can learn a few things about windows and fences.
    There is videos and instructions at Home depot,,lowes,,etc..Reallyyyy simple stuff to do.

If you do build the fence.If your not needing it to go to ground to keep dogs in.Make it a foot above the ground.
    That way ,if the hurricane,wind blows over 80 mph,your fence will still be there ,if you concrete the 4x4s of course.
    I was told by a fence guy,that if I built my fence 1 ft above ground,it would withstand 80-95mph winds,maybe more
    depending on the fencing of course.Many ways to do the fence.When I build them I use screws.That way when it
    comes time to replace sections or boards,ezzzz..

I just finished a pergola about a month ago.I went to Home slepot to see what they costs about 2 months ago..
    At 16x16 it would have been around $12,000 with everything,I was like ouchhh.SO I went to home slepot and
    ordered the exact same cedar from up state,Washington and all the 2x8,,and 2x6 cedar as well.I then went
    outside to the pergola they had up as a display and took a 1ft x 1ft piece of plywood I had and traced the pattern
    from there cuts on the ends.Wood was delivered for $50 to my home.I used pattern,cut wood,stained wood,Put
    it together with bolts ,same as display..Well I walked away at $1174.87 with the concrete at $300 and was glad
    I had the other 10k in my pocket ,well CC lol,,,

Build on......

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I say ,,save yo money man.DO it yourself.That way you can learn a few things about windows and fences.
    There is videos and instructions at Home depot,,lowes,,etc..Reallyyyy simple stuff to do.

If you do build the fence.If your not needing it to go to ground to keep dogs in.Make it a foot above the ground.
    That way ,if the hurricane,wind blows over 80 mph,your fence will still be there ,if you concrete the 4x4s of course.
    I was told by a fence guy,that if I built my fence 1 ft above ground,it would withstand 80-95mph winds,maybe more
    depending on the fencing of course.Many ways to do the fence.When I build them I use screws.That way when it
    comes time to replace sections or boards,ezzzz..

Build on......

Thanks. I'll have to do more research but I think I will try it out myself.

I'm curious how building the fence above the ground would help as you still have the same surface area. It doesn't matter for me though since I will have a dog back there.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    The way it was explained to me,was because of the 1ft clearance ,the wind would have some where to go.,
    Instead of all the force of one area.I don't know,but that is how they build them up north as well,
    ANd on any given day,the wind can gusts to 95mph.Added a pic of pergola :)

WiLieR

I R Nooble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Madison, MS
    What is the exterior finished with?
    Brick is super easy to slip in new style double pane windows.
    Wood/Composite siding is still fairly easy but requires trim work to make the windows look right.

We have done lots of houses where we removed aluminum framed single pane windows and slid in double paned, double hung pvc framed windows.
    The majority were brick and that made it super easy compared to setting up trim saws and getting the trim work to blend in with the shifted/settled house (all houses shift/settle some).

Top Bottom