Request ER Visit?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZingZang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    I had a student ask me this question in class this past weekend --> "Is it true that if you shoot someone in self defense you should provide a brief statement to the police then request to be immediately taken to the ER for observation?" She said she had been told that such a scenario was the best course of action, but couldn't recall why the request to go to the ER was so important. I don't know the answer -- any takers out there?? ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Because it is possible that you are injured and may not realize it under the stress.

Also, you have just engaged in shooting another person to presumably save your own life or those of your family. Your demeanor shows a little concern for yourself and those around you. The act of demanding an ER visit is to make sure you and/or them are okay both physically and mentally.

And you should announce to the arriving police that you want to press charges against the person you just shot.

I wouldn't divulge much more info than that except that you were forced to defend yourself with lethal force.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    It's not going to happen. ERs are not for psychiatric visits, unless one is contemplating suicide. I don't know of a single deputy or officer that will drive you to the ER for observation, because you requested it. If it is a justified shooting, and you wish to seek some type of healthcare, you would do so on your time. In the event that you are transported anywhere by a deputy or officer, it would be to the bureau or jail.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    It's not going to happen. ERs are not for psychiatric visits, unless one is contemplating suicide. I don't know of a single deputy or officer that will drive you to the ER for observation, because you requested it. If it is a justified shooting, and you wish to seek some type of healthcare, you would do so on your time. In the event that you are transported anywhere by a deputy or officer, it would be to the bureau or jail.

Chest Pains....can't breathe or talk...arrrghhhhhh

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    And you should announce to the arriving police that you want to press charges against the person you just shot.

Yeah, try that. You are going to seem a little off to the responding officers. Also, don't be too terribly upset if you are detained while the responding officers figure out what is going on.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I don't think the OP meant to say that you demand the cops bring you. You request medical attention through the appropriate channels, eg. ambulance.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I don't think the OP meant to say that you demand the cops bring you. You request medical attention through the appropriate channels, eg. ambulance.

I got that, but realize that just because you request it, does not mean you will get it.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I got that, but realize that just because you request it, does not mean you will get it.

What police officer would deny any person's request for an ambulance in today's litigous society regardless if he felt it was warranted or not?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah, try that. You are going to seem a little off to the responding officers. Also, don't be too terribly upset if you are detained while the responding officers figure out what is going on.

Hey, you and anybody else, do what you want in your own situation.

And you believe that a person carrying a pistol everyday of their lives for self defense; that has trained and prepared for the day that he/she hopes will never come, would not act a little more matter of factly than some douche that carries a concealed weapon just because it's the law and because they can?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    What police officer would deny any person's request for an ambulance in today's litigous society regardless if he felt it was warranted or not?

Plenty. Contrary to popular belief, unless there is something physically wrong with you, ie, beat up, stabbed, etc, it probably will not happen.

EMS would already be on scene due to the shooting. If you wan't to be checked, most EMTs I know would be more than happy to do so, but that doesn't mean you will get a ride to the hospital if there isn't anything physically wrong with you.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Hey, you and anybody else, do what you want in your own situation.

And you believe that a person carrying a pistol everyday of their lives for self defense; that has trained and prepared for the day that he/she hopes will never come, would not act a little more matter of factly than some douche that carries a concealed weapon just because it's the law and because they can?

This x1000. It seems that society has been taught to believe that if something tragic or emotionally jarring happens, you should be freaked out and immediately need to seek care from mental health care personale. I whole heartedly disagree. If you have prepared yourself for the moment that it might happen, then yeah, sure you may be a little shaken up, but most will be just fine.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Plenty. Contrary to popular belief, unless there is something physically wrong with you, ie, beat up, stabbed, etc, it probably will not happen.

EMS would already be on scene due to the shooting. If you wan't to be checked, most EMTs I know would be more than happy to do so, but that doesn't mean you will get a ride to the hospital if there isn't anything physically wrong with you.

Interesting...In 20 years of EMS I have never seen or heard of a cop denying anyone a request for an ambulance...and that includes having worked in Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge and the Alexandria areas...So what you're telling me is that a police officer has the knowledge and training to determine if someone who requests an ambulance really needs it or not? That's a lot of liability to assume....

FYI: If a patient requests that EMS transport them to a hospital, guess what? EMS is going to transport regardless if anything is wrong with that patient or not...I can only think of one service that I know of that will allow medics to refuse transport if they feel that it is not warranted...

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Since it seems that if/when you shoot a potential pile of worthelss s**t, while defending your own life, you may still face prosecution, detainment, arrest, or lawsuit; these courses of action are all part of the process to defend yourself.

The days of the town sheriff just coming by and saying, "Hell Roy, are you ok?, I am glad you put that scumbag down! You did this town a favor! We still on for dinner tonight?", are over!

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Interesting...In 20 years of EMS I have never seen or heard of a cop denying anyone a request for an ambulance...and that includes having worked in Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge and the Alexandria areas...So what you're telling me is that a police officer has the knowledge and training to determine if someone who requests an ambulance really needs it or not? That's a lot of liability to assume....

FYI: If a patient requests that EMS transport them to a hospital, guess what? EMS is going to transport regardless if anything is wrong with that patient or not...I can only think of one service that I know of that will allow medics to refuse transport if they feel that it is not warranted...

I will leave it at this, if I took every person to the hospital that requested it, not a single person would go to jail. They all request it. My absolute favorites are the 98s and 103s that think it is their right to go to the hospital for "treatment."

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    This x1000. It seems that society has been taught to believe that if something tragic or emotionally jarring happens, you should be freaked out and immediately need to seek care from mental health care personale. I whole heartedly disagree. If you have prepared yourself for the moment that it might happen, then yeah, sure you may be a little shaken up, but most will be just fine.

I'll agree with this 1000%....And an ER is the LAST place that someone should be trying to access counseling or mental health services through for this type of incident...

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    If you're having a panic attack, breathing heavy, complaining of dizziness, requesting medical attention, etc., etc., I'm pretty sure that you'll get a ride in an ambulance if you're still complaining of these symptoms after they evaluate you. Anything to get away from the crime scene, where the cops will detain you and bombard you with questions. Besides, it's hard to answer questions if your experiencing a medical condition. Just give them a brief statement that you were in fear for your life and take an ambulance ride.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Since it seems that if/when you shoot a potential pile of worthelss s**t, while defending your own life, you may still face prosecution, detainment, arrest, or lawsuit; these courses of action are all part of the process to defend yourself.

The days of the town sheriff just coming by and saying, "Hell Roy, are you ok?, I am glad you put that scumbag down! You did this town a favor! We still on for dinner tonight?", are over!

Not necessarily. Once all of the statements have been given and the evidence looked over, if the DA rules is legit, you are good to go. This happens a lot because most self-defense cases are fairly cut and dry. Don't fear the worst case scenario, just except what could be, however unlikely.

Top Bottom