required to stop/cooperate with store security?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I can't imagine the real cops would ask me to empty my pockets either, and if the mall ninja were standing behind my vehicle preventing me from leaving, then I would be pressing charges on him when the real cops arrived.

Of course you can't imagine. And apparently you can't read.

He CAN legally detain you on suspicion of shoplifting.

There's no charges to press on him.

LOL

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Guys, back on topic, OP wants to know if his friend could have shot the guy legally, or at least Rex Kwan Do'd his ass into submission, swept the leg, and walked away a free man.

Hell no. Call the LEO or your attorney yourself prior to consenting to search/sweep/shoot!

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    A friend of mine was accused of shoplifting while leaving a store once. He told the manager that he felt his character was hurt by the public accusation, but would agree to a search if he would be compensated with a $50 store gift card, assuming no stolen goods were found on him. The manager agreed and my friend walked out with an extra $50.

This seems like the best resolution yet. I would rather wager the SG's job instead of $50 though.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I never thought I would find one trolling for women of ill repute, but I did once.

JR1572

There's always an exception to the rule, sure.

But doesn't this belong in the "Whorin' Thread"? :p

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    You're all idiots shoot the guard and tell him to give you back your bullets.

:fawk: :hi5: name calling is outta the way now!

/end sarcasm/

I've always been paranoid of some ol boy having a bad day and when you walked into that tiny lockable room he plants some merchandise on you. I'd never ever step into that room, what if it's some guy you seriously pissed off in the past or cut off at an intersection?

Maybe just the PTSD kicking in?

Might I add, other than indecent exposure, Gator has had the absolute best solution.

I can agree with you on the last part (ok, maybe the first part also). Sorry, I'm just not getting locked in a room because someone who read over the stores security manual says I did something that I didnt do. Whats the alternative? Lift up my shirt and show everyone that I am carrying? Maybe, but then security may "smash the **** out" of me. Hand him my weapon? Not hardly. Get into a fistfight because he tries to stop me from leaving? Wont end well either way it goes. Its never happened to me but I guess I would calmly ask him if he was detaining me. If the answer was "no" I would leave. If the answer was "yes" I would politely demand to see the manager and I would probably call the police myself. I really dont see an alternative and I'm not trying to be a badass here but I'm not submitting to a search by store security when I didnt do anything wrong, especially while carry a handgun. I realize they have a job to do. I did a stint working security when I got out of the military and was looking for a full time job. The problem is, some security dont understand they are just security. I worked with a few that thought they were special forces SWAT SEAL team recon Marines. Those are the guys that got in the most trouble for doing stupid **** like the security in the OP.

Last edited:

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    To work this thread from another angle... I had a part-time job at wally world, and if you finger someone as a shop lifter and they weren't, you're fired.

They would rather lose merchandise than get bad press.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Actually, my bad. He has to have reasonable cause to detain you more than 60 mins I think.
    And the definition of that cause includes many intangible justifications including "response time of police"

I'm just curious... so he has the right to try and detain me, what would be the consequences for resisting or walking away... I'm almost done with my lunch break so let's hurry this up :P

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    To work this thread from another angle... I had a part-time job at wally world, and if you finger someone as a shop lifter and they weren't, your fired.

They would rather lose merchandise than get bad press.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I don't believe they even bother to press charges for anything under $20. :doh:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I was never itoughman.

I approached things with common sense and erred on the side of business owners.

Douchy people got douchy charges

I wish more people were on the net then......

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    and.....? it's not up to you to debate what he saw as reasonable cause to detain you.

He can also detain you for longer than 60 minutes if the situation dictates.

And if he can't show reasonable cause after the fact?

I guess it boils down to reasonable cause.

Here's my experience:

I was at the mall many years ago. I purchased something at Sears, then cut through JC Pennys to get to my car in the parking lot. At the door a SG ran up to me and after he caught his breath he demanded to look in my bag from Sears. He was very rude and told me he had a right to look in the bag. I told him to eff off. He said he would call the police, I told him fine but in the meantime he needed to back up. LEO showed up, dressed him down for trying to stop me from leaving. He apologized. I left. I didn't wait to find out why he thought I stole something in the first place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom