required to stop/cooperate with store security?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ...and if the innocent person knows you are a threat to him when you attack him and he knocks you the F*&# out I guess you can explain your situation to the police then. :dunno:

As a Marine, getting whooped isn't part of the equation. Although it does happen, no such thought should be considered until after the fact.

:mamoru:

Anyway let me congratulate you. You have most assuredly DESTROYED! Oleheat's post of the day (With Post #130) and in the same thread at that. This means this thread is truly EPIC. Look for his post earlier about the Wal-Mart greeter around 0830.

Oleheat, you lose pal!

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    That makes more sense then. The way you wrote it, you were saying that either: you thought the suspect was armed, you felt the gun, OR he told you he was armed. Then you implied that that would have escalated the situation giving you the right to assault the suspect. I was looking at how you worded it because the implication didn't just state that the other person had to have threatened you.

It makes more sense now.

I'm confused too because the way I read it, if he stoped someone he thought was stealing and he "felt" a gun he would escalate it by attacking the guy. Is the simple act of being armed considered a threat just because you "believe" that someone stole something?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    As a Marine, getting whooped isn't part of the equation. Although it does happen, no such thought should be considered until after the fact.

Anyway let me congratulate you. You have most assuredly DESTROYED! Oleheat's post of the day (With Post #130) and in the same thread at that. This means this thread is truly EPIC. Look for his post earlier about the Wal-Mart greeter around 0830.

Oleheat, you lose pal!

I once went toe to toe with a Marine in a bar in Thailand. I was doing pretty well until some Air Force guys decided to step in. That Marine and I kicked the ever loving **** out of those flyboys then hung out the rest of night buying each other drinks. :D

And thanks for the compliment. I had fun posting it. :D

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    That makes more sense then. The way you wrote it, you were saying that either: you thought the suspect was armed, you felt the gun, OR he told you he was armed. Then you implied that that would have escalated the situation giving you the right to assault the suspect. I was looking at how you worded it because the implication didn't just state that the other person had to have threatened you.

It makes more sense now.

Fair enough.

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    I'm confused too because the way I read it, if he stoped someone he thought was stealing and he "felt" a gun he would escalate it by attacking the guy. Is the simple act of being armed considered a threat just because you "believe" that someone stole something?

No, I think he meant to add in that if the suspect ALSO threatened him in some way or acted in a threatening manner, that he would then use force, but he left that out. So, I don't think he meant that he'd just attack someone if he thought they were shoplifting and thought they had a gun.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    No, I think he meant to add in that if the suspect ALSO threatened him in some way or acted in a threatening manner, that he would then use force, but he left that out. So, I don't think he meant that he'd just attack someone if he thought they were shoplifting and thought they had a gun.

Well, thats a horse of a different color. My apologies then.

Horse_of_a_different_color.jpg

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I once went toe to toe with a Marine in a bar in Thailand. I was doing pretty well until some Air Force guys decided to step in. That Marine and I kicked the ever loving **** out of those flyboys then hung out the rest of night buying each other drinks. :D

And thanks for the compliment. I had fun posting it. :D

:rofl: That's awesome!
    beer-drinking-smileys.gif

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Oleheat, you lose pal!

4fa88ddf1861330f99007460.png

****!

EDIT: Okay I just looked at his post....Very well done, indeed! :bowrofl:

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Oleheat, you lose pal!

That's a lie. I haven't lost to one yet. They fold up just like the rest of them.

JR1572

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    :rofl: That's awesome!
    beer-drinking-smileys.gif

You gotta remember, before I got out then came back in and cross rated to a Seabee I use to work intel (got tired of working in a vault inside of a vault) and I was stationed on a Tarawa class Gator Freighter. 900 sailors, 2,000 marines. Every port we went to we were out numbered. :D

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That's a lie. I haven't lost to one yet. They fold up just like the rest of them.

JR1572

:blah: You don't think anyone thought you'd come here and say something different
    like, "Yea he's right" :rofl:

C'mon JR, take off those dull dry glasses for a moment. Just a little banter here to lighten the mood. ;)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    On a slightly different note, I worked at the Mall of Louisiana for about a year (up until December of 2012) and the way the security handled shoplifters worked quite well. For the most part, whenever there was proof that someone was shoplifting, such as cameras or multiple witnesses, a police officer AND a security guard would detain the person. By detain, I mean the cop would push him (or her) up against a wall and cuff them. If there was only suspicion of shoplifting, security would turn cameras in the direction and send two guards to watch the person. Normally they would start making a commotion about how racist everyone is and leave. Under no circumstances did a security guard (from my experience) ask a person to come with them or to look in their bag. If the security guard was talking to you, it was normally in the presence of the police officer who was about to arrest you.

I highly doubt that any store employee or manager at any of the stores in the mall would mention shoplifting to a patron walking around the store. As mentioned above, just accusing someone of it is enough to get fired. If you look like a low-life who is trying to do anything sneaky, the problem isn't them - it is you. I would hope that most of y'all on here represent the clean-cut good guy who looks as if he is not doing anything wrong. Appearances mean a lot in all aspects of life!

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Many stores do not allow employees to confront shoplifters. If they are allowed to approach a shoplifter they are not allowed to physically touch them nor are they allowed to detain them without consent. Hence the reason they asked the guy to walk to the back office rather than physically force him to comply. Of course they can claim to have the authority to detain and search him but more than likely their company doesn't allow such behavior so in essence the security guard is just full of ****.

To answer the OP question, if this happened to me I would have gotten the name of the security guard and filed a complaint with the corporate office. If he felt the need for compensation for the inconvenience he could have probably bitched enough in order to get a gift card. Filing a lawsuit in hopes of a big payday is a complete waste of time.

I lack itoughguy skills but I do have almost 10 years of retail management on my resume.

Top Bottom