Resoration work in LA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Hello all. A few months back I picked up a russian capture k-98. The gun shoots great but its physically not in the best condition. I'm looking to possibly get it restored to wartime factory standards and was wondering whom if anyone in LA does this. I know to some its a sin but this rifle is un matching without the sight hood or cleaning rod.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Like you, over the last year I bought several RC k98's. I've been tinkering with them myself because I really couldn't find anyone that specialized in restoring K98's. I care less how they look and more how they shoot. While there are several groups like Fulton that'll refurbish US military arms, I didn't find one for mausers other than maybe Miltech or Mitchells. Seems like there'd be some business for at least tuning these things back up into good shooting shape. Oh well, I do enjoy tinkering with them. Please post if you find someone skilled in working on them at a reasonable price.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Most collectors want German Mausers in as clost to original condition as possible. Collectors just don't care for the purtty ones.
    I don't do metal work But I do restore stocks. The RC stocks were sanded, stamped on the side of the butt with the SN# of the rifle and covered in Shellac. They can be cleaned up to look nice or made to look like a well used, but taken care of, stock.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Candyman, how about the stock to metal fit? It seems that's where most of the problems lie with RC's. Have you run across anyone focused on restoring that aspect of the RC's? Thanks.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It has always been my understanding that for the price you'd pay to have someone "restore" a RC K98 it would be better just to buy a German K98. Also there's some people ( I can't tell how common this really is b/c I read it on the internet. It could be just a small minority.) who say that a RC K98 is an entirely new assembled weapon using old parts that has come from a Russian arsenal. Therefore any alteration is destroying the history of the weapon.

For the record I refinished my RC K98's stock and removed all the black paint from the metal finish. I like it and it's mine so I'll do what I want with it.

Dave

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    RCs were done in different ways. If the rifle was in great shape it got the little x and the Sn# stamped on the stock and then put into use. The ones that were in not so good shape were stripped down to barreled actions. All the parts were were refurbed and then the rifles were built from the parts. Just about the same way the Mosins were done.
    So you can say that most are just a mix master of German parts put together by Ivan.

Here is one that a friend of mine just cleaned up.
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=113670&start=0

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom