Response from Louisiana Senator David Vitter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Here is a response e-mail I received from LA Senator David Vitter. Looks like a pretty generic letter, but it does show that he is opposed to any Gun Legislation.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to voice your opposition to new gun control laws in response to the recent school shootings in Connecticut and California. I appreciate hearing your views, and I agree with you.

In the wake of these tragedies, many in Washington are calling for increased restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, arguing that it will help to reduce gun violence. For example, Senator Feinstein (D-CA) has announced plans to reintroduce a ban on assault weapons and to limit magazine capacity. Also, President Obama has signed 23 executive actions and has called on Congress to pass legislation, including background checks for all firearms sales. However, as many supporters of the Second Amendment have pointed out, increased restrictions do little to affect the actions of criminals, who by definition do not abide by the law. Instead, they restrict the rights of law-abiding Americans.

I am a firm believer and ardent supporter of the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment. This constitutional right, and our heritage of using firearms for sporting and self-defense purposes, does not have to be sacrificed to reduce gun-related violence. Instead, we should focus on enforcing the extensive laws already in place and turn our attention to more appropriate measures, such as increasing the safety of our schools and keeping guns out of the hands of those who may be mentally incapable of owning them responsibly.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you and your family.

David Vitter

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I was in the process of writing a long, well thought out response to his email (in hopes of receiving a non-generic reply), and was very close to being finished when suddenly my phone rang which in turn erased my whole message. Really pissed me off, especially considering that normally when this happens, it saves the email as a draft.
    Anyhow, my response was to thank him for his stance on protecting our 2A rights, while also pointing out some certain concerning legislation that could be passed dealing with the mentally ill and firearms, and background checks for ALL firearms sales which would include private sales, which in turn it seems would require registration of some sort of all firearms.

When I get the time tomorrow, I am going to write the response in my notepad on my phone, the copy/paste it into the email reply so that I don't take the chance of losing it again if I receive a call while writing it.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I have to wonder if the anti-gun people that write him get the same response (I also received this same reply a few days ago, along with an even more pro 2a one from my rep John Flemming)

Top Bottom