Response from Senator Vitter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    I received this reply from Senator Vitter today in response to the Pro 2A e-mail I sent him a few days ago. I was glad to see he (or at least one of his staffers) took the time to respond, especially since his response is Pro 2A. Did not surprise me, really. I have yet to receive a reply from Senator Landrieu or Representative Steve Scalise, which also does not surprise me.

"Thank you for contacting me to voice your opposition to new gun control laws in response to the recent school shootings in Connecticut and California . I appreciate hearing your views, and I agree with you.

In the wake of these tragedies , many in Washington are calling for increased restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms, arguing that it will help to reduce gun violence. For example, Senator Feinstein (D-CA) has announced plans to re introduce a ban on assault weapons and to limit magazine capacity. Also, President Obama has signed 23 executive actions and has called on Congress to pass legislation, including background checks for all firearms sales . However, as many supporters of the Second Amendment have pointed out, increased restrictions do little to affect the actions of criminals, who by definition do not abide by the law. Instead, they restrict the rights of law-abiding Americans.

I am a firm believer and ardent supporter of the rights enshrined in the Second Amendment. This constitutional right, and our heritage of using firearms for sporting and self-defense purposes, does not have to be sacrificed to reduce gun-related violence. Instead, w e should focus on enforcing the extensive laws already in place and turn our attention to more appropriate measures , such as increasing the safety of our schools and keep ing guns out of the hands of those who may be mentally incapable of owning them responsibly .

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you and your family."

Top Bottom