Response to me from Sen. Landrieu

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    My prayers and greatest sympathy go out to the families and community of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, and to all families that have been affected by gun violence. On December 14, 2012, twenty-seven innocent lives were taken from us in a heartbreaking tragedy. As the nation grieves over this senseless act of violence, it is more important than ever that we come together to address the issues affecting American communities.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of all Americans to own and possess guns. While preserving the rights of honest gun collectors, sportsmen and owners who possess firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, we must also continue to ensure that we protect innocent unarmed citizens. I am sure you can agree - like any right guaranteed to a free people, the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly.
    Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion. The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies. Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it.

I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.

I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote. However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution. Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.

Last edited:

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I got the same.

Read between the lines sounds as if she will cave if her party demands her too. Why people keep voting her (and Holden) back in is beyond me.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I would think she is just being politic in a form response that will go to anyone contacting her about this issue.

She is up for re-election in the next election. The majority of Louisiana residents recently passed of a state constitutional ensuring the strongest gun laws in the country. It would be very dicey career move for a Democratic senator in a Republican-dominated state to swim against that tide.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Got this one today. A little bit more in it, but the same stuff.

January 7, 2013

Dear __________

My prayers and greatest sympathy go out to the families and community of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, and to all families that have been affected by gun violence. On December 14, 2012, twenty-seven innocent lives were taken from us in a heartbreaking tragedy. As the nation grieves over this senseless act of violence, it is more important than ever that we come together to address the issues affecting American communities.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of all Americans to own and possess guns. While preserving the rights of honest gun collectors, sportsmen and owners who possess firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, we must also continue to ensure that we protect innocent unarmed citizens. I am sure you can agree - like any right guaranteed to a free people, the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly.

Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion. The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies. Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.

We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it. I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.

I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.

Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote. However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution. Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.

I appreciate hearing from you on this matter, and I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. Please feel free to visit my website at http://landrieu.senate.gov for more information on my legislative priorities.

With warm regards, I am

Sincerely,

Mary Landrieu
    United States Senator

P.S. For a recap of my week in Louisiana and Washington, D.C., be sure to sign up for my weekly eNewsletter by visiting http://go.usa.gov/2sb. And for my latest updates, like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter.

Swampwood

Long Term "Newbie"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northshore Area
    Got this one today. A little bit more in it, but the same stuff.

January 7, 2013

Dear __________

Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion. The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies. Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.

We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it. I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.

I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.

Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote. However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution. Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.

I appreciate hearing from you on this matter, and I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. Please feel free to visit my website at http://landrieu.senate.gov for more information on my legislative priorities.

With warm regards, I am

Sincerely,

Mary Landrieu
    United States Senator

P.S. For a recap of my week in Louisiana and Washington, D.C., be sure to sign up for my weekly eNewsletter by visiting http://go.usa.gov/2sb. And for my latest updates, like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter.

Hey yours was just like mine...imagine that! :bravo: I think we need to continue to lay it on her then she may not bow to the other Dem's with an upcoming election...

nomadic1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    St. Tammany
    What would be more interesting would be to see a response letter sent from her to an ANTIGUNNER. Anyone have an anti gun friend that wrote to her? Don't everyone go and send her a letter, though, to find out what she said to THOSE people, as you don't want to skew her office's tally on for and against towards the against.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I got the same and excerpted this paragraph (above) and sent it back to her. I told her I was all for the mental stuff because that was one of the roots of the problem. Then I asked her if they would also want to "control" knives, pointed sticks, bricks, rocks, etc. And also asked if we could castrate sex offenders. Told her to get back with me when something more doable was on the table and not just talk.

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Second Amendment rights are not granted by the Constitution they are supposed to be protected by it.

I have crafted a simple letter that I am sending to both Senators and one to my local House Representative. I have put it in a RED ENVELOPE for visual awareness. If we could get millions of red envelopes into the Washington post office maybe they will hear us loud and clear. My letter is as follows:

January 8, 2013

Senator or Representative XXXX
    Address look up
    Washington, DC XXXXX

Dear Senator or Representative XXX:

Under no circumstances will I support any violation of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the *Right to Keep and Bear Arms* by any additional legislation. Any vote to restrict ownership of all presently legal firearms will be considered a betrayal of the oath of office taken by members of Congress, the Executive Branch and the Judiciary.

100 million firearms owners have committed no crime justifying such action!

Respectfully,

Name
    Address
    City, State, Zip
    Home: XXXXXX
    Cell: XXXXXX
    Email: XXXXX

Last edited:

ZingZang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Wrote her two days ago -- have received nothing -- though it looks like what she's sending out is nothing as well.

Top Bottom