Retro M16A1 from Nodak Spud - Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rapaint66

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    South Baton Rouge
    I have been wanting to build one of these for quite some time and Nodak Spud is taking orders again so I got to thinking. Their retro upper recievers do not have a shell deflector and I am a southpaw shooter. I would imagine this is going to end badly for my face when I try to shoot this thing left-handed. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Yes.... It's going to throw them at your face... Unless it's just something you want to look at and shoot very little don't bother. Righty it holding you down once again! :D

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Do you have a link to the kit or receiver? I've always wanted to build a M16A1 replica for service rifle comp. That has been on the back burner now for a while though.

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    I've got 2 built and yes you'll be eating brass if you're left handed. You can get a C7 type upper which is an A1 with a shell deflector and it'll be more lefty friendly and not totally noticeable. Original barrels are going to be extremely hard to get and expensive even before the panic, aftermarket barrels are sporadic at best and you have to acquire the small parts yourself and install them (FSB is the pain). You're going to end you spending the price of a new premium AR building a retro clone.

On the up side they are simple and very light weight, like as light as a bone stock 6920 light. They are a pleasure to shoot.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I've got 2 built and yes you'll be eating brass if you're left handed. You can get a C7 type upper which is an A1 with a shell deflector and it'll be more lefty friendly and not totally noticeable. Original barrels are going to be extremely hard to get and expensive even before the panic, aftermarket barrels are sporadic at best and you have to acquire the small parts yourself and install them (FSB is the pain). You're going to end you spending the price of a new premium AR building a retro clone.

On the up side they are simple and very light weight, like as light as a bone stock 6920 light. They are a pleasure to shoot.
    Not if you get this
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-us-military-colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx?a=1143546
    Needs barrel... but still all the part are there

Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    Some guys in the retro forum on ar15.com reported missing pieces with those kits and damaged furniture; but yeah that's the way to go to try to get everything at once, assuming they are actually in stock (doubtful). I think McKay's kits had a little better reviews and Apex has a lot of the small parts. The biggest problem (besides no shell deflector for a lefty) is still no barrel. So you need to find a pencil barrel that's .625 at the FSB (everyone is out at the moment and runs are few and far between) and, assuming you have the tools, pin the FSB yourself or pay someone like ADCO to do it. OR, like me, after watching GB for a few days, lucked up upon a Colt surplus or NOS barrel where the owner isn't asking for you first born.

Top Bottom