Review of Bill's class and then some - BR residents, please read!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elise.torres1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey y'all! I just wanted to tell you about my experience with the concealed handgun permit class I took from Bill Hickman a few weeks ago and how it has helped me already. Before the class, I didn't even know how to hold a gun, much less shoot it. Bill was very good at explaining everything from how the gun works to various situations and techniques to protect yourself. We shot AirSoft guns before we went to the range, so I was very comfortable with holding, aiming, and shooting by the time we practiced with the real guns. Bill is an excellent teacher, especially for beginners like me. I highly recommend this class!

The class wasn't just about shooting guns though. It was about safety, self-defence, and preventing or neutralizing bad situations. One quote that stands out for me is, "God gave this wonderful gift to women called 'intuition'. Most women disregard it when they feel something is wrong, but 99% of the time, if it feels wrong, it is." Yesterday (in the middle of the afternoon! This stuff doesn't just happen at night.) something happened that made me very grateful for taking the class. A suspicious man followed me into and out of Target, and then approached me and pretended to know me. He tried to get me to go to his van, but I wouldn't, and then he followed my car through the parking lot and to the interstate until I purposefully lost him in traffic. From the time I saw him staring at me when I pulled up, I got those raised neck hairs that told me something was off. I trusted my instincts and was on my guard the whole time. I've already filed a report with BRPD.

Here is a description of the guy and the vehicle for everyone in Baton Rouge:
    40-something-year-old dark-skinned man, could be Hispanic or Middle Eastern, about 5'7", wearing glasses, very short black hair (balding?) and an average build. His van was maroon, a newer model, very shiny. Unfortunately I didn't see the make, model, or plate number.

To all you ladies: be vigilant! Crazy people can be anywhere at any time, and paying attention to your surroundings and being assertive can really keep you out of trouble.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Welcome aboard, Elise...Glad that situation turned out OK. You are so right- vigilance is EVERYTHING!

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    Welcome to the board.
    Glad to hear you came out fine in the end.

Since my wife has gotten into the self defense frame of mine, it has saved her life on two occasions that I can think of in the last 4 years. Not to mention other potential situations that were avoided by changing her habits and day to day lifestyle.

If you have kids, it's also a good idea to get them involved in being aware of the people and places they should avoid.

Thanks for sharing.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wolves target sheep. You will therefore occasionally find wolves where there are a bunch of sheep.

There are places that are SAFER than others, statistically, but you should never assume you are not in any danger whatsoever if you are in a public, or semi-public place.

That being said, you cant assume you're safe just because you're in your home, either. Not to be the paranoid conspiracy theorist, but isn't this why 'we' keep extra magazines throughout our house, as well as our weapons?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Welcome to the bayou Elise!

Guys, this is my baby sister whom came to me a few weeks back about getting a pistol. I directed her to Bill's (Mtcur3) class since he really does well with first time pistol handlers/owners. Once she told me about the encounter I mentioned that she should post it up on here as well as what she thought about the class. To say that I'm glad to have sent her to a class that taught her how important situational awareness is a complete understatement!

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    welcome aboard, try to make it a game, try to predict what people will do, for example. drivers, groups of people, single individuals. Look around always.. don't get locked into one thing.

Glad your safe.

BTW that 200 lb missle. looks really disarmed in that pic.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Siegen lane is particularly dangerous because of the access points. I cannot tell you how many times I have been approached by shady cats trying to sell "This $1000entertainment system for $300 because the client didnt want it"...or various things like that.

They'll even come install the system! heh

No where is safe, some are particularly bad. Places with High Transient/Gypsy populations are inherently more dangerous areas, not because of the Gypsy's but because they go to high traffic easy access points.

Siegen Lane, Acadian near Interstate, College @ I-10 area (Hooters and all)...places like those.

Yes, a lot of those people standing next to the interstate are Gyspy's, not normal homeless people...they are an organized group of people who travel the nation for months at a time to beg for money...making $20-100+/hr 12-18hrs a day for 6-8mo a year... They make more money than most of us. When you see 1, its probably a homeless person...when you see 2-3 nearby its Gypsy's. :p

Top Bottom