Revolver Grip End Plates

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    I am looking for some grip end plates. At is the only thing I can think of calling them. Some of the OLD LEO’s might know what I am talking about. They are usably made out of either Gold, Silver, or Brass. They go on the end or bottom of the revolvers grips, and are seen from the rear when the gun is in the holster. Most of them have some type of design in them.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Oddly enough, I think I'm the guy who started that former thread.

I was looking for them for perhaps the same reasons you are but my search was unsuccessful. In short, they're not easy to find these days now that the revolver is not as popular as it once was.

They came/come in variety's from thin filligree initialed types to more substantial steel/stainless with badges, initials, figures, etc. Imo, the one's I have seen over the years were either ordered in small groups from individual makers, or were custom made for individual owners. This does not count the true custom buttcaps or grotesque masks such as those offered at turn of 20th century by the likes of Tiffany & Co. (or Smith/Wesson, Colt, etc) for use on presentation revolvers and pistols.

I spent several years in Texas and got hooked for awhile on collecting old Texas lawguns. These were VERY popular there and I suspect that the utility of having a great headknocker on the butt of your gatt was a plus, particularly since many of the revolvers favored there from the 20's-60's were stocked in ivory and pearl. So there was a protective aspect as well, just for the grips. A trip through the Ranger museum will reveal darn near every one of the guns shown having some type of grip cap and what those guys packed, the county sheriff's emulated. Just my .02 on that one but I have seen a LOT of these over the years, but have not located one I'd want to own (your search will, depending on how hard you look, locate them from time to time, but let's just say that many of them tend to run to real, real gaudy and it wasn't my cup of tea, YMMV). The most common you'll find for sale will have someone's initials on them already (which a good engraver or jeweler can alter to yours) or a badge affixed.

Good luck on your search. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom