Revolver versus a Pistol for a newbie...thoughts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shannahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good Morning Bayou Shooter Members!
    I'm brand new to the gun world and have received conflicting advice when asking which gun is best for a newbie. I realize that this question is very subjective, however I
    still hope to get a few more opinions before making my decision. I've heard that revolvers are reliable, but only hold a limited number of shots and take time to reload so if there are multiple attackers this may be problematic. I've heard that pistols can jam, and unless the handler is proficient in overcoming the malfunction that
    could spell trouble as well. These are just a few of the many opinions that I've been given....looking for some concrete advice! Considering S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCR, Glock 9, Ruger LCP, M & P Shield, etc..

Last edited:

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    You covered the two schools of thought very well. You have named some very fine firearms, any of those will do the job.

Now, get some instruction......not here. But at a range with someone familiar with any of those firearms and the safety necessary to handle them. You will do just fine.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Welcome to the forum! I would definitely suggest window shopping and getting a feel for each gun. See which one fits you best, so that you will feel comfortable holding it and manipulating the weapon. I definitely agree with Tadpole, I about going to a range with a with someone is versed in handeling them (and safely).

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Revolvers are usually harder to shoot, slower to reload, and hold fewer rounds. Bad stuff can happen with either one. If you are willing to take the time to learn and train with a semi-auto, then that is what I will generally recommend.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You're in Baton Rouge, that is a huge plus for resources. There is plenty of places to shoot in and around Baton Rouge,
    and PLENTY of members here on the site that live in and around there as well.

Hopefully you can make contact with them and get some hands on time.

Welcome to the forum!

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    OP- welcome to to BS! With you being a new shooter, I highly recommend you get some good training before you do much of anything else. The pocket pistols you've described (basically anything smaller than the M&P shield) are not guns I recommend to new shooters. Reason being is I don't feel like they are conducive to good fundamentals and are very difficult to shoot well. Some will dog me for that opinion, but I haven't seen a single new shooter that performed well with a pocket gun. My girlfriend is a Very new shooter, and she performs great with both a Lady's Smith (.38 revolver) and the M&P Shield9. I feel like those two sizes should be about the smallest you should look for.
    As for the revolver vs semi-auto debate: it's up to you. I like semi-auto's for anything other than just fun day at the range. There's a few reasons behind this but it boils down to "they usually go bang more often in less time (capacity and speed of reloading)".
    Sending you a PM with some other information.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Some added broad strokes:

A semi-auto of sufficient quality that's being fed ammo of the same ilk (as your SD/HD stuff should be) is far more likely to function properly than it is to sputter and choke-- especially if properly maintained and vetted/tested prior to you staking your life upon it. (That's not a reason to ignore training/practice at clearing malfunctions-- especially in contact distance encounters, a lot of things can go wrong and lock the gun up in a fight.)

It's also important to keep in mind that like any machine, a revolver can malfunction as well. And other than a light primer strike or issue with the primer (in which case you just pull the trigger again), any kind of lock up or breakage in a revolver is going to put that gun down for the count. There's no tap-wrack-bang for a wheelgun, in other words-- you've got a really crappy club if it locks up.

Because you should seek out at least some training and get some practice with whatever weapon you select, this aspect of your decision making (though still very important of course) should be regarded in the proper perspective. And as it deals with the one true advantage the revolver has over the semi-auto, IMO, it pretty much seals the deal in favor of a bottom feeder and not a wheelgun.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    I prefer revolvers (pathetic as that may be to some). Yet, others have already stated the right of it... before you decide to purchase anything, get with a qualified instructor and train. You will find your way. After all, despite whatever some may say, it's the beer, and not the bottle.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Good Morning Bayou Shooter Members!
    I'm brand new to the gun world and have received conflicting advice when asking which gun is best for a newbie. I realize that this question is very subjective, however I
    still hope to get a few more opinions before making my decision. I've heard that revolvers are reliable, but only hold a limited number of shots and take time to reload so if there are multiple attackers this may be problematic. I've heard that pistols can jam, and unless the handler is proficient in overcoming the malfunction that
    could spell trouble as well. These are just a few of the many opinions that I've been given....looking for some concrete advice! Considering S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCR, Glock 9, Ruger LCP, M & P Shield, etc..

My first gun was a Taurus .357 revolver I got in trade. I thought it was a pretty good first gun to get me familiar with them as I haven't handled a gun in over 10 years when my grandpa was alive. You could shoot the cheaper .38 target ammo at the range but still have the powerful .357 round for protection. However even with speedloaders it took me a while to empty the 6 shots and reload them. I'm sure if you spend months practicing you could get pretty good but who has that kind of time?

I sold that revolver and switched to a semi-auto for home defense and self defense. If you go with a brand like Glock, you don't have to worry about jams. That's what I like about them (and seems what everyone else likes about them). I shot about 2000 rounds through my G19 without cleaning it once and had zero malfunctions. It eats anything even the cheapest steel crap you can find. Even if you limp wrist it still feeds fine, you just get hit in the head with the casing :mamoru: I've heard the S&W M&P is just as reliable but never owned one so couldn't say from personal experience.

My G17 performs the same way as my G19. It sits by me when I'm at home with 18 rounds in it with a 33 round magazine nearby. Can't get that kind of capacity with a revolver :dunno:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    OP- welcome to to BS! With you being a new shooter, I highly recommend you get some good training before you do much of anything else. The pocket pistols you've described (basically anything smaller than the M&P shield) are not guns I recommend to new shooters. Reason being is I don't feel like they are conducive to good fundamentals and are very difficult to shoot well. Some will dog me for that opinion, but I haven't seen a single new shooter that performed well with a pocket gun. My girlfriend is a Very new shooter, and she performs great with both a Lady's Smith (.38 revolver) and the M&P Shield9. I feel like those two sizes should be about the smallest you should look for.
    As for the revolver vs semi-auto debate: it's up to you. I like semi-auto's for anything other than just fun day at the range. There's a few reasons behind this but it boils down to "they usually go bang more often in less time (capacity and speed of reloading)".
    Sending you a PM with some other information.

The Sig P238 is extremely comfortable to fire and very accurate and fits in your pocket easily. The only downside is it is a .380 but it shoots better than any pocket pistol I've ever tried. Perfect backup gun IMO but just a little pricey.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    The Sig P238 is extremely comfortable to fire and very accurate and fits in your pocket easily. The only downside is it is a .380 but it shoots better than any pocket pistol I've ever tried. Perfect backup gun IMO but just a little pricey.

It's also single-action, and no doubt a fine choice for those who are comfortable carrying in "condition one." Not everyone is.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What's wrong with .380? Is it to small to "blow holes in people"?
    I think that an earlier post recommended that caliber for a starter?

The single most important factor in choosing a caliber and ammunition for stopping two-legged threats is penetration. And the .380 falls woefully short of the mark with any kind of heart-warming repeatability.

It's better than nothing, of course. But start at 9mm (which many folks who actually know WTF they're talking about believe to be the best option of all) and go from there.

That's going to bring the topic of "adverse to recoil" into play, so let me preemptively... :mamoru:

Shannahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Awesome feedback BS Team! So, I am going to get instruction first, and for those who inboxed me, I will respond individually as soon as I get home from work. As far as the gun preferences, it seems that the majority prefer a semi-automatic to a revolver because it holds more rounds and the rounds can be shot more rapidly; also that buying a quality brand
    semi-automatic & doing the necessary maintenance greatly reduces the odds of it jamming up. I gather that revolvers are also great guns, just less capacity for bullets and a longer time to unload & reload. Sounds like there is something for everyone, and that personal preference plays a big role. I am still curious as to why people may have a dislike for the
    .380. Does it have to do with the caliber size/stopping power? I've been trying to self educate through books, shows, and the internet, so this question is really just for background purposes and curiosity! Thanks again!

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I started a few years ago by renting several models at a range to test out. It's a good way to get a feel for them and how they shoot for you. I was able to rule out models that I otherwise would've bought, so I believe it is a worthwhile endeavor. Find which model works for you.

I also started out (and am currently sticking with) 9mm. It is good for self-defense, and its low(ish) price allows for plenty of practice. If you are not planning on CC'ing immediately, then starting out with a full-size handgun could be a good idea. Plus, there are plenty good brands out there that should serve you equally well if you do your part by maintaining and practicing :)

Edit: As regards to revolver vs. semi, each has pros and cons, but they should both be fine. I personally prefer semi-autos, but I'm warming up to revolvers, too.

Last edited:

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    I think it depends upon what you want to do... concealed carry or home defense? For concealed carry, I'd readily concede that 9mm has slightly greater "stopping power" than .38+p. But the gun is necessarily larger, too (unless you can afford a Rohrbaugh). For home defense, perhaps this doesn't matter so much. In our case, we have a Judge, alternating .45lr with buckshot in the cylinder (pathetic as that may be to some).

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    ...looking for some concrete advice! Considering S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCR, Glock 9, Ruger LCP, M & P Shield, etc..

You say you are new to SHOOTING (and I would infer to GUNS, in general) and ask about what type of gun to get for, again my inference, concealed carry?! You don't know what type gun you want and you want to carry it for self-defense? I think the best "concrete advice" as others have mentioned above is to get some instruction. Do you REALLY want to get a CCW permit to carry a deadly weapon that you don't even know what kind to get? Maybe a .22 to introduce yourself to shooting. You should probably crawl a bit before you try to run a marathon! Just my opinion, but think about it. Do you shop for a NASCAR car before you even have a driver's license.... A newbie pulling a shiny new weapon on an attacker is a good way to get training ... from the attacker who will probably take your gun and show you how it's used. :eek4:

tangiltows

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Denham Springs, La
    i'll offend some folk's and say revolver is the way to go! first time shooters do not need the complications that auto's can tend to offer over wheel guns. if an auto chokes, you need to diagnose & clear the problem like, rite now, to stay in the fight without taking your eyes off the threat. revolver malfunctions are practically non-existent as opposed to autos where you will have to try different makes, bullet style, etc. to achieve reliability. revolver, anything that will go in the chambers will go BANG! if it don't, pull the trigger again- new round, new chamber! ammunition malfunctions are not an issue these days. if it is not a reload, you'r ok. 38 or 9mm will cost purty much the same for practice and both are just as effective on thin skinned targets. the revolver, with less available rounds, will tend to negate the SPRAY & PRAY mentality, and sometimes overconfidence, that a hi-cap auto can suggest. will your woman be shooting? if yes, another hi-mark for the wheel gun. start off with a lower tier 22, put a truck-load of ammo thru it, then buy a premium 38 or 357 in whatever size you think will serve you best, and live happily everafter. i'm 55 yrs old, been shooting handguns since age 9, survived 3 gunfights, home protection, carry, auto, all with wheel guns. i compete with autos but, if it comes down to my tender butt, i'll carry a revolver!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom