Revolver vs Semi-Auto for CC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I did a little searching and did not find any interesting threads solely bases on the discussion of what is better for CCing. So, what are your thoughts for CC: a revolver or semi-auto.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Whatever YOU can shoot the best, on the move, from arms length to 25 meters.

This type of question almost can't be answered for anyone except by you. Hence the lack of published materials. Pros for each, cons for each. And when you do get a "discussion" they often devolve into devotee's of one or the other trying to convice someone that their way is the only way. There is no only way, or "best" way. Only your way and you should train to be dead nutts accurate in that way. I carry both from time to time, depends on circumstances, and frankly on my mood too. While I'm most likely packing a G19 v 4, I'm also partial to J frame Smiths, L frame Smith's, and almost always am wearing a NAA .22 magnum "Pug" too.

YMMV and almost certainly will. This didn't help at all did it? :)

kman

Collector
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    I prefer my S&W 360 pd revolver for carry because it's light weight,small,and is a simple time tested design. Semi-auto hand guns have more parts that can lead to failure if not properly maintained and cleaned. Glocks and other new semi-autos are very reliable,but still rely on a spring fed magazine that can fail you if left loaded for a long time and not maintained. This is my opinion for what it's worth

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm not a revolver fan. Why? They're not flat when it comes to concealibility. They have long, heavy trigger pulls. I don't like the gap between the cylinder and the frame (I don't like gas and burning powder shooting out the side of my guns, especially near a barricade. In a self defense situation where I just might not have glasses on (God forbid since I'm blind as a bat without mine!) that's not a good thing). But mainly because I've never spent the time to become truly proficient with a revolver.
    All that being said, shoot and carry what you're comfortable with.

One other point. Many beginners feel that revolvers are more reliable than autos. I've heard people say on the range that revolvers NEVER jam. Yes, they do. Maybe not often, but they do. And when they do jam on the range I end up with half the tools in my tool box out. When an auto jams, 90% of the time you drop the mag, rack the slide and go back to shooting.

Slimak707

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I prefer a revolver. It's light as hell, 5 shot airweight. Not too heavy to not want to carry, the trigger pull is heavy enough to pocket carry without a holster. I personally don't think you need to shoot 25 yards with it. Can you? Absolutely. But it's not something I carry as a duty weapon. My thoughts are, look at the weight. You have to be willing to carry the gun so that you have it if you need it. No point in a heavy gun that you'll never carry.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    It entirely depends on how you are carrying and what sort of concealment you need. There is no magic gun that is best for everyone.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Lots of good advise. The right answer is that there is no right answer. I vote both. Or either. My snubby conceals better in shorts and a t-shirt appendix carry. My auto carries well at 4 o'clock iwb. I dont feel disadvantaged with either one. LACamper makes an important point also, whatever you choose train to proficiency. Then train some more.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    a .44 magnum OC on a duty belt just because you can and it's comfortable haha.... To be serious
    I rather a glock 19 or the 23
    Most of everything else has been covered in the above posts. Choose the one that is most comfortable to shoot. You can alter your dress to accommodate the tool you choose. Practice with it. Don't just go to the range and shoot static round after round and that it.
    Get comfortable and before you develop any bad habits take a formal training class with a reputable group. Advantage group, bearco, vata they have several that are very good these are just a few. All of them have entry level classes at a very reasonable price. Take advantage of it. Good luck with whatever you choose man.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I try to carry my G26 but sometimes it just isn't convenient. My J-frame is much easier, so if the choice is between no gun or the revolver, I go for the S&W. If I could clip my G26 to some gym shorts I would, but it just isn't happening.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I try to carry my G26 but sometimes it just isn't convenient. My J-frame is much easier, so if the choice is between no gun or the revolver, I go for the S&W. If I could clip my G26 to some gym shorts I would, but it just isn't happening.
    a bellyband type holster works well for gym shorts

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    IMO the idea of "Whatever you're most comfortable best" is often a cop out and used to replace admitting to facts and reason. You should pick the proper tool for the job and learn how to use it. You shouldn't pick whatever gun fits your pre-existing lack of ability.

Semi-auto. There's nothing unreliable about a good semi-auto, they're easier to fix when something /does/ go wrong, they're fast to reload, and reloads also conceal easier within quick access.

There's really nothing about a revolver I like for a self defense weapon.

Bob L.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    340PD for me with 3 speedstrips for reloads. This has advantages (to me, at least) that I have not found to date with autos - it's light weight and concealability in a pocket holster. I'm afraid any of the autos I have tried would end up on the top of the dresser when I leave the house ore often than not. The little j frame goes with me everywhere. As is often said, the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun.

I do practice with it regularly and it most definitely will jam (i've done it), however.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    IMO the idea of "Whatever you're most comfortable best" is often a cop out and used to replace admitting to facts and reason. You should pick the proper tool for the job and learn how to use it. You shouldn't pick whatever gun fits your pre-existing lack of ability.

Any generic reply of "whatever you prefer" is predicated on his lack of information on his level experience. Lack of specifics does not imply lack of ability. I was an avid and experienced shooter long before I considered CCW. My decision was based on experience. In many cases the correct choice is the one you shoot best and are most familiar with.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Any generic reply of "whatever you prefer" is predicated on his lack of information on his level experience. Lack of specifics does not imply lack of ability. I was an avid and experienced shooter long before I considered CCW. My decision was based on experience. In many cases the correct choice is the one you shoot best and are most familiar with.

If you aren't willing to train to get better I can see that, however if you are willing to devote the time the argument of pick what you're better with goes away, as you can make yourself better with something else.

IMO wheel guns are suited for nostalgic old men who would've preferred to keep the abbicus over the calculator.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If you aren't willing to train to get better I can see that, however if you are willing to devote the time the argument of pick what you're better with goes away, as you can make yourself better with something else.

IMO wheel guns are suited for nostalgic old men who have the experience and training to put six rounds center of mass, rather than blindly flailing way with 19 rounds in a blind panic.
    Fixed it for you.;)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Funny how all those nostalgic old men claim to have the 'experience and training' to put those rounds center mass in a gun fight

And yet I've never seen a single person use a revolver in a gun fight training class. Now, I've not endured nearly as many hours as many on this board, but the absolute goose-egg number I've seen so far seems rather indicative of a trend...

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Funny how all those nostalgic old men claim to have the 'experience and training' to put those rounds center mass in a gun fight

And yet I've never seen a single person use a revolver in a gun fight training class. Now, I've not endured nearly as many hours as many on this board, but the absolute goose-egg number I've seen so far seems rather indicative of a trend...

I admit. I am nostalgic. I miss Bakelite AM Transistor radios. TV programs that didn't have cursing. Kids riding their bicycles with .22 rifles over the handle bars. Women in skirts.

I am not so old that semi-automatic firearms had yet to be invented. John Browning predated me by many years and I own several of his inventions. I choose to carry a Colt Cobra because it is small, light, reliable and if I have a bad primer, a pull of the trigger solves my problem. The fact that it's not shaped like a brick and has a wonderful blue color helps too.:D At times I do choose to carry a semi-automatic pistol. When I do, I carry a 1911 govt. model.

I suspect the reason you don't see too many old nostalgic men with revolvers at your training classes, is because you don't see too many old men at your training classes.

Catch me at Honey Island and I'll let you try one of my nostalgic revolvers. Perhaps I can change your mind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom