Revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm really trying to like the GP100, but I can't. It's the fact that I can't easily reach the hammer with my thumb on my shooting hand. (

Why do you need to reach the hammer ? Seriously . If you're going to shoot single action , buy a single action revolver . :)

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    1/2 moon clips work. But most people just use full moon clips. To the point where if you say moon clip or clip to a revolver shooter they automatically think of the 6 six versions. 1/2 moon clips are pretty rare because no one wants them. Why use 2 clips to reload when one is faster?

Dave

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Ruger , no question . Lot's of choices of caliber , barrel length , etc . Or Freedom Arms if you are budget minded .

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Hammond Archery and Fishing says they can sell a S&W 686 6" Stainless for 740.00.

Yall think thats a good price?

NO.

You can get several varieties of PRELOCK 586's, 686's, in a variety of barrel length's from Cabela's (who are usually higher than giraffe nutts) for less than that including tax and shipping.

Consider that pre "Wondernines" (mid 1980's), revolvers RULED the roost as far as those outside the military who carried weapons for a living. There are millions of them available in pretty nice condition. All it takes is a little patience and ready cash. Check out your local pawnshops. These are usually great sources for used Smith and Colt revolvers. Also check gunbroker.com to get an idea for the pricing of the models you are seeking. Revolvers being currently out of favor is a REAL PLUS as far as pricing goes these days.

I prefer stainless because even a tad surface wear is easily buffed out like new. A 4" K or L frame (get L if you're gonna shoot a lot), or the Ruger GP100 is a perfect first revolver choice.

But the pricing you mentioned is WAY too high imo.

Hope this helps, and remember, "Wheelguns are the realguns" and "Realguns are round". :)

(hey, I own both, use lots of semi's, but first love for just enjoyable shooting is a good revolver for me, followed closely by a nicely tuned 1911).

Last edited:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    The .32 caliber 327 MAGNUM was purpose-designed for self defense. Optimum ballistics/concealment are with a three inch barrel. The Ruger SP101 is very high quality weapon and much cheaper than Smith's J-frame in this caliber. It's also going to be more shootable in terms of recoil and staying on target because of it's weight. It holds six rounds instead of five.

Most people diss this caliber, but it's state-of-the-art design for personal protection with a revolver.

Except for the slight reduction in expanded diameter, it's right there running with the long venerated Illinois State Police 9mm load of 115 grains @ 1300 fps. You can't hardly go wrong with that.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Why do you need to reach the hammer ? Seriously . If you're going to shoot single action , buy a single action revolver . :)

I realized something in an earlier thread that may set me apart from a bunch of ya'll. I'm not a "collecter." I use firearms as a tool and I get the proper tool to do the job I want to do. So to answer your question with a single word: Options

I want to be able to shoot it every way I can...single action for precise shots and double action for the SHTF moment where lead needs to be hurled downrange quickly..either way, using only one hand....

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I under stand what your saying about finding one at a pawn shop but in your opinion what do you think a good price on a brand new in the box 686 - 6" stainless would be?

Wouldn't want one b/c that would mean it would be current production....

and I'd rather a used.

Pawn shop in Covington has a 686 for $380 out the door. (used)

Top Bottom