Rifle for long range shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    There are a lot of options and brands out there.
    If it were me, I would look for a remington 700 5r with a 24" or so barrel in .308.

There are tons more aftermarket parts for Remington than most other brands.
    Swap out the trigger on it for a Jewel trigger. The x mark pro triggers that the remington comes with is not that great.

Later on once you shoot the barrel out, true the action when you rebarrel (with a quality barrel) and it will be better than new.

All that being said, if you have the $$$$ for a full blown custom built precision rifle... Go for it. Look to spend $2500+.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    DO not get caught in the most expensive rifle trap when starting out, If you want to shoot F class, buy a savage F/tr or one of the repeater versions if you want more than one shot. They have great triggers and will outshoot a factory remington, and hold their own against some of the custom actions. If you shoot one and dont make High Master, its not the gun.
    BTW, I'm guessing that was you that came out to Palo Alto the weekend and looked around. We have a 200 yd Reduced Highpower match this Sunday IN Gonzales. If you would like to shoot it and get some quick instruction on how to do so, let me know and we can make that happen.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have mixed feelings on the savage trigger after putting over 3k rounds thru one.
    If mine was set below about 1.5# and you worked the bolt to hard, the trigger would not set.
    Also have seen guys pull off the line because of the trigger during matches and practice matches.

vmcdonald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    I shoot a Savage FCP in F-class, i think the rifle is capable of posting good scores but not by me... yet. I can vouch for Mickey's trigger issues as I've had my accutrigger not reset during a match. The accutrigger does take some time to get used to and I'm not completely sold on it especially after shooting Mickey's 260. Come out to an f class match at Palo Alto and check out what's being used, you will see factory guns on up to custom builds that will surely make you drool. One thing to remember is that the rifle is only as good as the person behind it and with time you will improve.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    You got a budget?

Ill second a Remington 5R for a factory gun, and everything else Mickey recommended.

Of your budget is more, then decide what you want and either:
    A) Have Ritten build it.
    B)Look through the classifieds on snipershide and find one of the unused safe queens being sold.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    i picked up a customized rem 700 .308 from snipershide. the inaccuracies at that range are my fault, not the guns :) furthest ive shot is ~600 yards, but the previous owner claimed 800-ish. never tried it myself

i'd probably hire someone with the right credentials that could help me improve my capability at ranges 600- to ~1k. feel free to PM me...

+1 to a better scope without selling testicle on black market :(

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a good gun to shoot just looking for ideas I have a fnar 308 I am going to shoot the only thing is I need a good scope to put on it that won't break the bank

Don't skimp on glass. Before you decide on a particular scope, make sure that it has enough internal elevation adjustment to get you where you want to be from a 100y zero. Vortex is one option for a lower priced scope that is good glass. Sport Optics in Hammond stocks a lot of glass and are great guys to deal with. Give Chris or Jay a ring. I am sure they can fix you up.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Don't be hatin' on the Savage trigger. If you don't slam the bolt shut, it works fine. Mine is set around 10 ounces.

And the rifle is for sale.

gabesurface

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So I'm pretty curious about this as well. Just starting out, I'm looking to go with the Remington 700 ( I don't want to break the bank just yet). I've noticed a lot of recommendations for rifles with stainless steel barrels. Is that a pretty important aspect of long range shooting, or just a preference?

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Several VERY nice HOWA rifle packages out there for around $600 if you look hard that are VERY nice shooters. Look for .308

If you look close at Academy they sell a Howa Lightning in a black stock that comes with an ATI detachable magwell and 10-round magazine for that "extra tactical" look for $459. Add optics and Bipod, and you have a SERIOUSLY nice firearm that could be used for almost all applications for well under a grand.

I am also very fond of the Remington 700 series, but you will spend more going that route for sure.

Top Bottom