Rifle in need of refinishing and rebluing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ahamay79

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    New Roads
    Hi all,

I have a 1975 Browning BL-22 rifle in need of refinishing and rebluing. The barrel has some fairly bad rust and the stock has some bad chips in it. I inherited the rifle from my dad. With a combination of his onset of dementia, and the rifle being kept in a humid room, it wasn't maintained properly and it's not very pretty right now. Who do you recommend for this kind of work?

ahamay79

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    New Roads
    Well, I consider my dad's Belgian Browning "Sweet Sixteen" and Belgian 22 Semi-Auto to be heirlooms. It looks like Turnbull does awesome work, but I really don't want to pay more than the gun is worth.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I do rebluing work on a regular basis. However I have been working on my "real job" 7 days a week for 6 months now and don't see an end in the near future. I said all of that to give a background for the advice that I'm going to give to you. If these are considered heirlooms by you and you would like to have them in A+ condition for the next generation then I suggest you look at the "cost" as a longevity investment and not as the apparent value of the firearm. Now, if you are looking to sale these at a later date and you are looking to maximize the return on an investment you should look at it as you are. If you're looking at it as an "Heirloom" then I'd go with a Refinisher that has a reputation to uphold and won't let it go out unless it's Perfection. (Now you are going to pay for this.) If you're looking at this as an "Investment" then shop around for your best price for a return. (but understand that you're taking a chance that they're going to send you back something that you'll not be completely satisfied with and you may have to send it back several times to get the results that you desire) I hope this has helped.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Kinda in the same boat. I may soon buy a Colt Frontier .22 in rough shape. I'd like to get it reblued but may have to duracoat if blueing isn't feasible.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom