rifle noob...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    so, how many of you fellers or fellerettes use a rifle or shotgun for home defense?...just curious...still new to hand guns, only about 4 months of owning and 3 months of carrying...just want a lil more exposure...and a few opinions...

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Nothing says home defense like a Tactical Remington 870. 18" barrel and #3 buckshot.

SSTD-AS_side_saddle.jpg

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    If I have the option, I will grab for my AR instead of my pistol in 99% of scenarios. Main exception being obviously if someone is arm's width away, and I do not have an option besides drawing and firing from retention.

cripple

Quad CCW
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2008
    N. of I10
    I have always just gone out and picked up the standard Mossberg 500...we have a few of them around the house...in various places...:ninja:

JOmega

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Congrats on carrying--and on doing research on home defense! I too am new to gun ownership this year and recently got my CH permit as a step to gain knowledge and competency with firearms. So I've done a ton of reading, research, range time, and talking to friends and family that grew up with firearms (especially since I have children in the house). I've got tons to learn and much catching up to do, but l'll share with you some of the things I've picked up.

First, having a good handgun that you keep on your person--even at home is a good start (if you're a big enough guy, the Glock 30 is excellent, but I have a little LCP that I carry because I don't want to go up 4 sizes in "Fat Pants" to fit that bricky Glock inside the waistband.) But the main purpose of a handgun in the home is to buy you time to get to your long guns in the event of a home invasion. (If you only have money for 1 gun, then buy the largest caliber handgun that you can comfortably carry).

For the long guns, a 12ga. Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 (or similar--I love my 590A1). . . with bird shot, not buckshot. The 7-8 shot won't go through walls, plumbing, electrical, etc. like 00Buck does, but the 7-8 shot will still put a coke-can sized hole in a bad guy at home&hallway range. You might make your last two in the tube buckshot just in case, or keep a couple in a speedstock.

Regarding a .223 battle carbine (like the AR15s)--I can only tell you what others have told me and what I've read (it's next on my shopping list): Great for home defense ("CQB" close quarters battle). I just haven't saved up enough coin for the one I want.

As far as what you buy, here's some other great advice that I'll pass on to you: Guns rarely depreciate, and you'll quickly invest more in ammo than you spent on your guns (at least if you're going to the range to practice enough). So buy the very best quality guns you can afford.

Finally, if you live in an appartment, you don't want to blow through walls and kill your neighbors. In that case, the cartridges with frangible bullets may be the way to go (they're just too expensive to practice with). And if you have kids, plan to spend TIME and $$ on figuring out the best way to make your guns accessible yet safe. It's work to teach the kids Eddy Eagle's (NRA) rules, and to be safe with your guns 100% of the time. But it's worth it.

Now I'll sign off and listen to the many great experts on this forum who have decades more experience that I have.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I have an AR-15 carbine and 870 12GA both loaded up about 5' away at from the bed. That said, personally I'm grabbing my .45 pistol if I hear a bump in the night. Unless you have a large house, there are significant weapon retention issues you need to consider when using a long gun. If I encounter an intruder in my home, there is VERY few places he'd be more than 10' or so away. If he decides to do anything other than run away, a pistol is much easier to maintain control of and maneuver with IMO.

I'd say more important than what firearm you are toting, is that it is equipped with a good, bright flashlight. Target ID is crucial in home defense, plus you gain some tactical advantage by potentially crapping out the BG's vision.

Also, when it comes down it the type of weapon you use to defend your life and home has only one right answer: whatever YOU are most proficient with. I don't care if it's a pistol, rifle, flamethrower or nunchucks. If you can't use it effectively it ain't ****.

Last edited:

onlyjourneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Plus one on the dog !!
    I've got a Wilson tricked 870 w/ #5 buck by the bed after a practice run a few months ago with the handgun and a flashlight. No more fumbling in the dark.

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    For the long guns, a 12ga. Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 (or similar--I love my 590A1). . . with bird shot, not buckshot. The 7-8 shot won't go through walls, plumbing, electrical, etc. like 00Buck does, but the 7-8 shot will still put a coke-can sized hole in a bad guy at home&hallway range.

I respectfully disagree with using bird shot. While you MAY reduce your collateral damage a little over 00 buck, you're SEVERELY limiting your potential to stop the threat(s).

It's been proven more than once that birdshot lacks the penetration needed to reliably stop a human (or comparably sized) target, generally leaving only a superficial wound.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Bird shot is only useful for birds. It will not penetrate enough for a human sized target.

I use a Ithaca Model 37 Defense model for home defense. I like it more than a rifle. But that's mostly a personal preference thing. Either one will work very well.

Dave

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Handgun . 45acp . I want a free hand to open doors , turn on lights , dial a phone , whatever . This is a debate with no clear winner . Do what you think will work for you .

dstriguy

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I gotta put my .02 cents in...

While buckshot is most definitely going through the sheetrock, I am pretty damn confident that birdshot at hallway distances is gonaa ruin someone's day. For overpenetration concerns birdshot would be the way to go in my opinion. I have read several articles about the pros and cons of birdshot in HD scenarios, but I have yet to find someone willing to be a target to test any theories. I'll take my .45, 870, or AR anyday over nothing at all. Shot placement is crucial. While they may be mortally wounded, they may have time to inflict some damage to you before expiring. One thing to note, and I am sure some of the LEOs on here can attest to is that the pucker factor has a direct corelation to accuracy when the SHTF. I don't think your 1 in. groups on the range are gonna be the same in an HD situation (for most people). Train, Train, and then Train some more.

Semper Fi

bigc70092

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Gretna, La
    Stupid question regarding AR 15 with .223 ammo. Is it safe to assume that that bullet is going to penetrate a person? I currently use JHP to prevent this. Any thoughts?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    From a distance of 10-12 feet away, "lowly" birdshot will kill a home invader dead as Julius Ceasar. As a matter of fact- it will be a much uglier wound than just about any rifle round. A flying wad of lead pellets will shread into an attacker like a blender.

Not to name any names, but I saw what it will do to a certain big game animal- and it was deadly.

Of course buckshot is more lethal. But up close in a standard length barrel- birdshot would be absolutely devastating.

Let me also say that I am always encouraged to see new gun owners showing such an interest and wanting to learn about different types of guns, and realizing just how much fun it can be. In case we haven't mentioned it before- kudos to you, guys!!

Last edited:

JOmega

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with MrLefty regarding stopping power of bird v. buck shot--no argument about that (and thanks for being cordial to the newbie). However, it's one of those compromises I've had to make considering I have kids in the house--that's the only real collateral damage I care about. Instead of buying a big screen LCD TV, I spent the money on guns, ammo, range time, etc., so I don't care if I put holes through my hi-fi, furniture, house. It's the kids (and if you live in a condo or apartment, your neighbors) that I'm concerned with. There are always tradeoffs with such decisions, and I'm still trying to get educated sufficiently to make those decisions. That's why I keep a couple 00 in the speedstock just in case. I'm learning that the AR15 is probably a better homedefense weapon, but I'm still saving up for it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I agree with MrLefty regarding stopping power of bird v. buck shot--no argument about that (and thanks for being cordial to the newbie). However, it's one of those compromises I've had to make considering I have kids in the house--that's the only real collateral damage I care about. Instead of buying a big screen LCD TV, I spent the money on guns, ammo, range time, etc., so I don't care if I put holes through my hi-fi, furniture, house. It's the kids (and if you live in a condo or apartment, your neighbors) that I'm concerned with. There are always tradeoffs with such decisions, and I'm still trying to get educated sufficiently to make those decisions. That's why I keep a couple 00 in the speedstock just in case. I'm learning that the AR15 is probably a better homedefense weapon, but I'm still saving up for it.

You bet- we're glad to have you here & are glad you're getting into "the life"!
    I too agree that buckshot has more "stopping power", if you will- if we're talking about ranges that exceed up-close & personal. However, from a distance that I mentioned previously, fine shot is not "fine"- it's a close-grouped flying wad of lead shot that will ruin pretty much any living thing in it's path- all without going through the rest of the house & killing an innocent.
    00 Buck may be the first choice- but I would not feel the least bit "undergunned" with fine shot at close range coming from a full-choke barrel, either....

You see, though? That's one of the great things about firearms- you have a whole universe of choices! :cool:

JOmega

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Personal confession: Before recent events forced me to take my head out of the sand(watching the last couple years of political crap going on, patient prodding of my Marine bro-in-law, and having kids), I was the guy who thought that going to the range with my friend was no fun--too loud, and that recoil thing hurts. But I finally decided I couldn't ignore the threats to my family and Country just because it was uncomfortable and inconvenient. (I'm quite pleased now with that giant blue and orange bruise on my right shoulder from blowing 4 boxes at the range with my 590a1!)

It is because of encouragement from a couple trusted, respected friends and my bro-in-law (MSgt/Marine) that I finally decided early this year to embrace that part of my legacy as a Free American and become a gun owner. Great websites like bayoushooter and books from folks like Boston T. Party have provided a wealth of knowledge and encouragement. Instead of just reading these forums, I joined so I can share some of the stuff I've learned and also have dialogue with folks that have "been there, done that."

A funny thing has happened along the way: I'm learning to love this. I'm associating with Patriots instead of putzes. I'm doing something meaningful and learning things that I can pass down to my kids that I never had the chance to learn growing up. Because I have so much to learn, this has replaced my other hobbies for a while. I miss watching sports and doing home renovation projects a little, but I can listen to the game while I'm cleaning my guns. Maybe when I have more of the basics down and figure out how to hit that paper plate at 300yds more than accidentally, I'll feel comfortable blowing my weekend on going to the game. But hey, I'm having fun. Thanks again for the encouragement--this has been a HUGE change in lifestyle for me (thank God my wife is supportive and even got her CHP too--though she still can't figure out why I want an AR15, M1Garand rebarreled with a Krieger .308, HK91 and FAL, and maybe a . . .)

You're right. I love the choices. The more I learn the more I discover how little I know--but also the more convinced I am that I'm on the right track.

Last edited:

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Stupid question regarding AR 15 with .223 ammo. Is it safe to assume that that bullet is going to penetrate a person? I currently use JHP to prevent this. Any thoughts?
    Yes, it will. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a .223. However, for short range, within 300m, the 7.62x39 will do more damage. Think of the difference between a tennis ball and a soccer ball. You hit someone with a tennis ball, it will hurt in the area you hit. You hit someone with a soccer ball, it will hurt, but will make a lot more impact than a tennis ball. Now, you can throw a tennis ball further than a soccer ball. the 223 has a longer range than a 762, however withing 300m the 762 will do more damage.

Hope that makes since. Tad bit intoxicated atm.

Top Bottom