Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littlejohn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Lemon Grove, CA
    I am the same as you, right handed and left eye dominent. I shoot with both eyes open and right handed. I just cross my body a bit and look at my sight picture with my left eye. I just started doing this and still have a way's to go to get it down pat and normal feeling. I have always shot with right eye open and left eye closed. This is fine for plinking but dangerous in a tactical self defense situation. I have thought about trying to switch to a left hand shooting position but was advised to keep working on the right hand left eye cross. When I was a kid I was left handed but my Grandmother raised me and she would switch me to righty every time I picked up something and made me right handed. I guess lefty's were wierdo's in her day. My baby daughter is a lefty but shoots right handed.

Scottie

I just "adjust my isosceles" to compensate and hit just what my left eye aims at with either my little 442 or G26. Kind of mystifies my fellow shooters. Love the Glock, but sometimes have a space concession to require the S&W, as in a couple of weeks when we come for Jazz Fest. Back brace with IWB holster...."Just feel my back, brother...those aren't my ribs running vertically, y'know?"

Lj

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My wife is right handed and left eye dominant. She shoots her pistols right handed and turns her head to the two oclock position with the pistol being at twelve. She is alinging the sights and seeing the target with both eyes open but taking her right eye out of the equation, she also gains a contact point between her chin and right shoulder.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i have the same problem right handed/left eye. im not sure if i've always been that way or not but never had an issue till a few years ago. i started shooting my rifles left handed and it made a huge difference. im still working on the pistols as i still catch myself aiming with my right eye but i have noticed that when i make a concious effort to move the gun and aim with my left eye my shooting does improve.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I'm cross. Shoot pistols right and long guns lefty. I am ambi with either now though and I believe that offers a huge tactical advantage. And don't buy lefty guns. Ones made for righties work just fine. Better in some cases (ak).

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I am also cross dominant. And wear glasses, cause my eyes, while both nearsighted, are different. So i do et some parallax issues when trying to shoot with both eyes open.

So I shoot a handgun right handed, and generally sight with my left eye. I "move the gun over" and have my head at the 2 o clock position when I shoot. It bugs the crap out of everyone who has tried to "help" me have the correct stance and grip. Luckily I have strong arms/hands and can make my stance work. I also like to have my left pointer finger in front of the trigger guard, that really annoys other shooters. So do my groups and split times...

But when I shoot a rifle/shotgun I hold it right handed and sight with my right eye. I did make myself pick rifles up right handed, as I instictively wanted to pick them up left handed. Not the case with handguns, always picked them up right handed.

And tot top this all off, I play pool left handed, and use my left eye. Weird huh.

Sometimes certain actions just feel better using my left hand, like it is connected to my brain better. But i cannot write left handed.

Moving the gun over worked for me, but dry practice helped with point shooting, and now I can shoot with both eyes open, even though i do get a bit of double vision at times.

Top Bottom