rjf ar15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazycajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2007
    crowley
    i'm in the process of getting my first ar and i've been looking around at a few models while at academy last night i looked at a rjf ar15 and was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with them i kinda liked the sig but the guy behind the counter said it was the best ar they handle you know how that goes

crazycajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2007
    crowley
    i looked at the daniel defense and they're really nice but i want something base level that i can upgrade a little at a time after all thats the fun part
    i'm mainly wanting something just to shoot every now and then i would like to spend under a grand looking at some kits too i like tinkering with guns the reason i looked at the sig is because i really like the sig pistol i have and have had good luck with it just looking at options

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    i looked at the daniel defense and they're really nice but i want something base level that i can upgrade a little at a time after all thats the fun part
    i'm mainly wanting something just to shoot every now and then i would like to spend under a grand looking at some kits too i like tinkering with guns the reason i looked at the sig is because i really like the sig pistol i have and have had good luck with it just looking at options

I would recommend buying your first AR, learn on it, then if you want buy a kit and build one.

COLT
    http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

BCM
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1052

Those are both under 1k.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If you like tinkering with guns, I'd buy the parts to assemble your own. You'll save a lot of money, get what you want, and get to tinker that much more.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Buy a trusted name like BCM or Colt. You can't go wrong with those two. I put my BCM together myself and its been a flawless rifle. Do not buy a Sig AR. So many betters options for the price.

Also Academy is not going to have the best selection on AR's.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    i'm in the process of getting my first ar and i've been looking around at a few models while at academy last night i looked at a rjf ar15 and was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with them i kinda liked the sig but the guy behind the counter said it was the best ar they handle you know how that goes

You can get a Colt 6920 at Walmart under 1k.

That's what I would buy.

JR1572

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Colt from Walmart for me. The RJ gun only offers a roll mark that's been made famous by reality TV otherwise it's a Spikes Tactical that cost more. No thanks.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Their attention to assembly detail has varied based on one's I have seen pictures of with un-staked castle nuts, etc. and then some of them I have seen ARE staked. I'd go with someone more reputable. BCM, Colt, etc. have offerings in the same price-range.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Without a doubt I am going to suggest a BCM because I have one. But like many have said, Colt at wally world or DD. You will not go wrong with any of those MFG's.

Ak.unltd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Watson,LA
    Do what jnieman said and assemble yourself it will definetly come out under 1000 for a basic AR. There is nothing special about the RJF other than logos all over the place i sold mine to another BS member.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wouldn't get the RJ, seems like everytime they shoot something it ends up blowing up. Just think if you went hog hunting with it and shot your hog and the hog just exploded, you wouldn't get any meat. :naughty:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Anything wrong with bushmaster these days? I carry one daily on duty and love it. Used to hear bunch of people talk about em, but haven't seem them mentioned in this thread once.

Top Bottom