Rob Pincus on dry firing.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Any thoughts on this article by Rob Pincus?

Dry Reps can lead to Poor Performance.
    Too often, we see students who have been practicing without the accountability of firing a shot, rushing their actions and failing on the range.
    by Rob Pincus

I can remember when just about everyone you talked to, in a gun shop or on the internet, was repeating clichéd lines in regard to the incredible importance of dry fire practice. “Dry fire 1000 times for every live round you shoot” used to be a common thought in the firearms training world. Nowadays, most people have figured out that over-thinking and over-choreographing the single trigger press without recoil and without the accountability of a result is only a valid training method for extreme marksmanship pursuits like Bull’s Eye pistol shooting or extreme precision rifle endeavors. The importance of rapid multiple shot strings of fire in regard to stopping a threat is pretty much universally accepted and the old days of over emphasized “follow through” and controlling your breathing while pulling the trigger on a defensive gun are pretty well behind us.

More often than not, however, I still see the virtues of dry fire practice extolled in regard to other aspects of defensive firearms training, such as presentation from the holster and reloads.

While there is absolutely value in deepening the “rut in the road” when it comes to complex motor skills, rehearsing them in context, especially in response to the appropriate stimuli, is integral to performing them intuitively in a real world situation. Furthermore, we need to make sure that we are executing our techniques appropriately and if we don’t get the right feedback (like a bullet impact on the target), we may not know that we are doing something wrong.. . let alone be able to figure out what we are doing wrong.

What this means is that if you are practicing slide lock reloads without the true initiation stimulus of feeling slide lock, you ingraining an intuitive response, you are only working on the execution of the complex motor skill in isolation. This, of course, still offers some advantage over doing nothing at all if you are executing the reload from an extended position with the firearm at slide lock with a dummy round of some kind (or modified magazine that will allow slide to go forward). A better example of the negative impact of rehearsing a complex motor skill is seen when we look at dry practice of presentations form the holster. Too often, I see people practicing their presentation from the holster in a sloppy way, not truly integrating their entire focus on a perceived threat or their entire body into the presentation process. For those of you familiar with the Combat Focus Shooting™ Methodology, let’s set aside the aspects of integrating the flinch response and lateral movement into the presentation. Obviously, some people have not been introduced to these concepts prior to attending a course, so it is unfair to criticize dry practice as inappropriate simply because these aspects as not integrated. Furthermore, not all students have practiced dry presentations before they attend a course. One thing, however, that has become very popular over the past few years is the idea of sticking the gun back out to a shooting position after completing a slide lock reload. I would say that over 50% of the individuals attending CFS courses in the past year that have attended previous training from another nationally known school or “progressive” military or law enforcement training integrate this step into their range practice with some level of regularity. The specific execution of the technique differs, with some people returning to a true shooting position and others to some form of an extended ready position. Almost universally, these students do not actually shoot after a reload, they just return to a shooting position. About half the time, the students also begin assessing while the gun is still in that shooting position.

During CFS Training, we stress the avoidance of bad habits on the range, ie- these that are not universally congruent with likely conditions in a dynamic critical incident and stress the development of good habits which do meet that criteria. The habit of always reacting to a failure to fire (a “click”) with a tap rack, for example, is the type of 100% “always a good thing to do in a fight” technique that we look to develop properly. This habit of always extending the gun directly out in front of your body towards the paper target after a slide lock reload does not fall into this category. Obviously, we can think of other things that we might want to do with our pistol after reloading. We might not be oriented towards our threat at that time, because of our movement or theirs. We might not have a threat to immediately, because of movement to cover or possibly because we have recognized that our threat has been dealt with during the reload. We might also have an extreme close quarters threat within two arms reach, that might be able to easier grasp our gun or foul our response if we extend in an automated way.

For these reasons, we have a simple rule during CFS Courses: If you go back to a shooting position after a reload, you need to actually Shoot. The presumption there being that you are simulating a situation in which you are visualizing the need to shoot immediately and that is why you are extending the gun. The corollary to the rule is: If you don’t visualize a threat, don’t go back to a shooting position, stay in a ready position and continue to assess.

What does this have to do with the point of the article? At least as often as not, students who have developed the bad habit of extending their gun automatically after a reload have a harder time getting Combat Accurate hits after their reloads than the students new to the concept. How is this possible? The next time you are on a range with people who have this habit, take a moment to watch them carefully. Compare their initial extension to a shooting position when they start a string of fire to their automated extension after a reload when they are not shooting. Chances are good that you will easily notice that they are less “into” the latter presentations. You are very likely to notice one or more of the following:

-not extend their arms as far.

-not extend their gun into and parallel to their line of sight

-not get their body weight behind the gun

-not focusing intently on their intended impact area

So, when they are held to the new standard, requiring them to shoot for effect if they extend, their old habit of not extending correctly become s a detrimental rut in the road that they have to un-train. The students who are acting after the reload because of a visualized need to shoot (just as they do at the beginning of a string of fire when a command is given) extend much more consistently at all times and have less trouble getting combat accurate hits after slide lock reloads.

Of course, this isn’t to say that there is no value at all to dry fire or that it can’t be done in a way that is as consistent as possible with actually training live to develop practical techniques. In fact, he next release in the Personal Defense Firearms series will be a Dry Fire Practice DVD featuring Claude Werner of the Rogers Shooting School. Claude has developed a more practical and thought out approach to dry fire practice than any instructor that I have ever scene, which is why I invited him to participate in the series. I encourage you to check it out, if you dry fire practice is part of your regimen.

A few tips:

-Visualization of an appropriate stimulus to act is often an easy way to get integrity into your training.

-Having a training partner to keep you honest or reviewing video of yourself training can also help a great deal.

-Stick to practicing things that you have learned in the context of live fire, don’t try to “practice” things you haven’t learned.

Keep these concepts in mind, not only the next time you think about engaging in dry fire practice, but also if you have other techniques which you are trying to automate without context on the range.

-RJP

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The more I read from him, the more I'm convinced I shouldn't. /shrug

I can see what he's saying. I understand his point. I don't believe the problem he speaks about exists, compared to anyone I've ever seen shooting (not as large of a sample size as him, by far) and the /vast/ majority of people that shoot better than me extol the benefits of dry fire practice.

Maybe dry fire is bad if you only shoot live rounds once a year. But how do you forget what it's like to have a gun recoil in your hands? I mean, yes, you can practice bad habits and ingrain them through repetition, but that's a universal rule and I do not believe dry fire is any more susceptible to that than any other practice or training regimine. It seems to be a lot of words with no foundation.

Then there's the final mention:
    "In fact, [t]he next release in the Personal Defense Firearms series will be a Dry Fire Practice DVD featuring Claude Werner of the Rogers Shooting School."
    Oh... that's where he's coming from. Gotcha.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    It helped me immensely when I was first starting out, and I recommend it when people ask me for advice. Being able to make that trigger press without disturbing the sights is a fundamental skill, and until you can do that you will not be an accurate shooter no matter how much lead you throw downrange.

And as JNieman pointed out... I generally don't take advice from folks trying to sell something.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Just because someone is a "trainer" and has a blog it doesn't mean they're putting out 100% correct information 100% of the time.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I made it to "without the accountability of firing a shot" and remembered this is the guy who advocates point shooting, then I laughed. Pincus is trying to sell something, he is the same thing as the faux Kung fu instructor teaching his "proprietary system" of combatives. He has got to go against conventional thinking for it to be a proprietary system, problem is, the conventional thinking has been verified to work.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Just because someone is a "trainer" and has a blog it doesn't mean they're putting out 100% correct information 100% of the time.

JR1572
    Hell, I don't even have a blog or train people, and I can manage to not put out correct information.

Oh wait.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you're not honest with yourself, dry fire can create bad habits. (I've seen it. More than once.) You absolutely must get to the range to verify that you're "doing it right" in live fire, else you'll never know.

Are these habits the one's that Pincus describes? Well, no. It's more of a tendency to cheat the trigger press, cheat sight pictures, etc. in the process of speeding up manipulations and transitions. But having talked with Rob, and even more to people who know him well... I wouldn't doubt his observations in this regard, either.

The main point is that there's no hard-and-fast rules on how often, how long, how fast, etc. an individual should dry fire. I've seen people of a very high skill level create some nasty habits, and I've seen people just starting out improve leaps and bounds (including in their accuracy and transitions). A combination of your shortcomings as a shooter, your self-awareness during the process of dry fire, and your discipline to get in good reps all come together to determine the final outcome.

Dry fire is without question a great training tool; stick with it, no matter what you might read or observe in others. But be honest-- and test out your gains (and potential problems) in live fire as often as possible.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    If you're not honest with yourself, dry fire can create bad habits. (I've seen it. More than once.) You absolutely must get to the range to verify that you're "doing it right" in live fire, else you'll never know.

Are these habits the one's that Pincus describes? Well, no. It's more of a tendency to cheat the trigger press, cheat sight pictures, etc. in the process of speeding up manipulations and transitions. But having talked with Rob, and even more to people who know him well... I wouldn't doubt his observations in this regard, either.

The main point is that there's no hard-and-fast rules on how often, how long, how fast, etc. an individual should dry fire. I've seen people of a very high skill level create some nasty habits, and I've seen people just starting out improve leaps and bounds (including in their accuracy and transitions). A combination of your shortcomings as a shooter, your self-awareness during the process of dry fire, and your discipline to get in good reps all come together to determine the final outcome.

Dry fire is without question a great training tool; stick with it, no matter what you might read or observe in others. But be honest-- and test out your gains (and potential problems) in live fire as often as possible.

Where you been at Bo?

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Every one has their own opinion. My 2 cents worth is: it's a tool. It should not totally replace live fire. When I can't get to the range for what ever reason, I practice my draw stroke, and movement, as well as speed reloads (with snap caps). I take it all to the range as often as possible. (At least once or twice a week)

Top Bottom