Rock Island Armory

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Does anyone have experience with their 1911's? I am looking at possibly picking one up, at around $560 it seems like a real bargain.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    What model? Sounds a tad high, but I have not kept up with their prices. I owned one. Was a pretty accurate shooter, I had few if any problems with it. Great starter gun, but really depends what you are wanting out of it. You might look at the Springfield RO, never shot one, but have heard good things about it for the $. Keep in mind, if you catch the 1911 bug, your taste may well change after a year or so.

Keep in mind 1911's come in $400 to $500 guns up to $3K plus semi custom guns, and you can keep on going up on the $ from there.

If you like it, and just want to get into a 1911, I think RIA is a pretty solid starter gun.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    I had one. Picked it up for I think $300 on here. Always told my brother I would buy him his first pistol when he got his permit. Well they lowered the age in AL to 18 so he got it on his b'day last year. Told him he could choose between that and up to $500 at LGS. He chose that so I really came out ahead. I loved it for the few months I had it. He loves it as well. No issues to date that I know of and we shoot cheap ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I'm looking at the 51479 Tac, I like the looks of it and the 3.5". My goal is for an affordable beginner 1911 as I don't have much experience with them. I understand the prices can get ridiculous so I am looking for a mid tier 1911 to get a feel for.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    While I'm not a big fan of micro 1911's, I am a big fan of RIA's.

My GI model will cycle empty brass fed from the magazine. It's plenty accurate. Reliable. I paid $420 for mine shipped with FFL fee.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I am with DBM. I have heard on the internets and from friends with more experience with 1911's than me that the smaller you make them, the more likely you will have issues with reliability. I would search around for RIA owners that own the small 1911's and see how they are running. Just me personally, for a 'beginner 1911' I would recommend a full size, or a Commander, or maybe a Commander sized slide with the smaller grip. Officer model?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Sure the shorter pistols have a reputation for being more troublesome. But, that said, I picked up a 3.5 in. (Officer sized) Citadel Compact 45 (another Armscor pistol) and it has run 100 percent and fed everything from my FMJ and XTP reloads to Federal HST.

No one will mistake an Armscor pistols for a top-tier 1911 but they are nicely made and one heckuva value for the money. Interestingly enough, they are backed by a lifetime warranty from a service department in Nevada that has a very good reputation with its customers.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I have heard very good things about RIA's customer service and warranty. I think for an intro 1911, hard to beat. The RIA I had certainly got me back in the 1911 camp for shooting and for carry. After thinking about it, the RIA is, in my opinion, probably the best gun to 'try out' the 1911. They are inexpensive, decent guns. One you can learn the 1911 platform, and then decide if you want to upgrade or not, and what you are looking for. I know my 1911 opinions have changed a LOT from when I got my RIA.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I have heard very good things about RIA's customer service and warranty. I think for an intro 1911, hard to beat. The RIA I had certainly got me back in the 1911 camp for shooting and for carry. After thinking about it, the RIA is, in my opinion, probably the best gun to 'try out' the 1911. They are inexpensive, decent guns. One you can learn the 1911 platform, and then decide if you want to upgrade or not, and what you are looking for. I know my 1911 opinions have changed a LOT from when I got my RIA.

This is exactly my thoughts, I think I'm going to try them out.

Also, I like that they have a 5, 4.5 and 3.5 options not dead set on either yet

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Excuse my not so great photos, but I shot these to show you some size pictures. The Remington is a full sized gun, the Wilson with the exotic grips is a Commander sized gun, and the other Wilson has a Commander sized slide, and an Officer frame. I weigh around 160#, and with a light cover garment can easily carry the full sized gun. Now, the Commander is more comfortable, and the little one is a joy to carry.

My understanding is the problems can come in when you go to smaller than Commander slides. I don't think the grip has anything to do with reliability. Not preaching, hope you have a blast picking out your 1911! All.jpgofficer on full size.jpg

The Commander gun has a magwell, so it is a little bigger than the full sized one.

Last edited:

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I don't believe I woul ever use it for cc, although from a previous question I poted on here I found most people to carry full size firearms. But thank you for the statement, I will do some research on slides and issues to get a better understanding of possible issues.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I don't believe I woul ever use it for cc, although from a previous question I poted on here I found most people to carry full size firearms. But thank you for the statement, I will do some research on slides and issues to get a better understanding of possible issues.

If not for cc, why get the smaller gun? The full sized one is usually more accurate due to sight radius. Of course, I do understand "I want one." Nothing wrong with that.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Also posted those pictures so you can see what the 1911 disease can do to your bank account. :eek3:

Last edited:

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    Own 3 RIA 1911 45ACP Pistols. Since 2000 a 1911 45acp Charles Daly Tactical, since 2004 a Government Model GI under 400$'s and probably 10k rounds NO ISSUES. Just purchased a 1911 Tactical II under $600 and another $50.00 rebate coming. Have 300rnds and NO ISSUES. The biggest value in 1911's period. Have a Springfield loaded Champion that cost twice as much and is on a performance level with the Tac II. You can't beat them for value!

Top Bottom