Rossi 38 at Academy, Good or Junk??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carl

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    Academy has a Rossi 38 for $239. I have never owned one. Are they a decent revolver? Considering it for a "camp" gun.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I have an older one I bought used in good shape for $150. Action is pretty nice for what it is and I really kind of like it. I use it as a truck gun and carry it hunting loaded with 38 shot. I don't know if the grips are stock, but they are nice if they are.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    For a "camp gun" it should be fine but don't put hundreds of rounds through it....... it will eventually fail, if not sooner than later. They have weak main springs that bind and render your gun useless when you probably need it the most. The older Rossi guns like the M68 were better built. The newer guns that Academy sell like the M351,M461 & M971 have all had, or still have their issues. Don't fire .357mag loads out of the .357 guns. Just use 38+P....... even Rossi will tell you that. Spend your $250 wisely and look for an old S&W, Ruger or even the older Taurus revolvers were reliable.

Last edited:

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    So wait a second. Rossi sells 357 guns and tells you not to shoot 357 through them? WTH? Sounds like a red flag about the brand to me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    My wife has one in her night stand. She has fired enough rounds thru it to be comfortable with it. It goes bang when she pulls the trigger & is surprisingly accurate for a snub nose wheel gun.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    This is my experience for what it's worth. I had a 357 mag Rossi for about a year before I gave up on it. It was the 3 inch barrel one also bought from Academy. Within the first couple of months of ownership, the firing pin on the hammer broke. Ok, I sent it in for warranty repair and paid for shipping. About 6 months later, I get it back and proceed to the range for a test fire. It works now; great, I have a functional firearm again. Three range trips later...you guessed it, the firing pin broke! Now, I'm fed up and decide to take it to a local smith to repair. He replaces and correctly sets the firing pin plus dremels a huge burr that was causing the cylinder to bind. I again test fire it at the range and it seems better than when I first got it, but it's too late. I don't want to risk any more time and money to make it work anymore. In all, I spent over 50% of the original price of the pistol on repair and shipping charges. I should have listened and stayed away from anything braztech(Taurus/Rossi) makes--minus their exceptional pt92 of course.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom