Rossi R97206?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Hey all. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the Rossi R97206 Revolver. It is a stainless, six-shooter in .38 Spl/.357 Mag, with a 6" barrel that looks like this:

R97206.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these (good, bad, or ugly)? Does four C-notes for a NIB specimen sound right? Anyone know what aftermarket grips are available?

Thanks much.

P.S. Oh, the reason for this one is pretty much just shooting for fun (e.g., targets, tin cans, metallic silhouettes, etc.).

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I didnt think i would like this gun as much as i do. I have XL paws and the grips seemed sort of small. I'm glad I was wrong. Recoil is very managable and is very accurate with my reloads. Trigger was light and crisp. My only warning is not to dryfire it. The hammer nose is the weak link in the system. I dryfired mine alot and it stopped working half way thru a box of 38's with broken hammer nose. I have a new one thru Rossi and I'm a happy camper again. Size is comparable to a K frame smith but feels lighter. They were on Slicks a while back for $300 so shop around for a sale if you can. I say go for it. Rossi is a dirty word in some circles but i have a couple and they've proven reliable. I'm the second owner of this particular revolver.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I wanted to get one a few years ago in fact it's still on my want list. The thing that's the hold up is that I couldn't find and aftermarket grips as the stock grips were just too thin for me.

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Indeed, I'll report back. I hear you about grips; after a bunch of web searches, I didn't find much. However, I found a decent set of wood grips on auction and went ahead and bought them to try. Pachmayr also appears to make a set for this model too.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    $400 is too much! Academy used to sell that exact gun for $329. I had the 971 (4" bbl) and the main spring failed and locked up the gun after about 150 rounds. Rossi sent me another one (after 6 weeks of waiting) and the same problem occurred after 72 rounds! Needless to say, never again for me!

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    Be sure to update with your experience.

Well, it came in to my FFL yesterday. This morning I took it out and put 40-50 rounds through it. Most were .38 Special +P, but I did fire a cylinder worth of .357 Magnum too. The trigger is surprisingly crisp and it is accurate enough. The grips are not bad, though I do have some wood ones on the way. No malfunctions of any kind were encountered. So far, so good.

Top Bottom