Rs 32:322

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    After the long tint law thread here's the one that gets me RS 32:322.

I drive mostly at night and it seems like everybody that has them runs them everynight illegally. They probably don't know it's illegal and I guess some don't care. I wish LE would inforce it.

RS 32:322

§322. Use of multiple beam road lighting equipment

A. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated on a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto during the times specified in R.S. 32:301, the driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam, directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at safe distance in advance of the vehicle subject to the following requirements and limitations.

B. Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, specified in R.S. 32:321, shall be dimmed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading.

C. Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 200 feet to the rear, except when engaged in the act of overtaking or passing, such driver shall use a distribution of light permissible under this Chapter other than the uppermost distribution of light specified in R.S. 32:321(1).

D. Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within five hundred feet or follows another vehicle two hundred feet to the rear, such driver shall not use any fog lamps or other auxiliary driving or passing lamps, except during periods of inclement weather or fog.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1; Acts 1988, No. 598, §1.

WiLieR

I R Nooble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Our 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee came with factory fog lights that are on all the time when the headlights are on (low or high beam). There is no switch inside to turn them on/off nor to set them in "high beam only" mode. Would we get a ticket for factory installed lights?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Our 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee came with factory fog lights that are on all the time when the headlights are on (low or high beam). There is no switch inside to turn them on/off nor to set them in "high beam only" mode. Would we get a ticket for factory installed lights?

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way but it might be hard to explain to the LEO how you can drive a car for 10 yrs. (if you got it new) and not know how to turn off the fog lights. It might not be illegal in MS.

Front Fog Lights - If Equipped The front fog light switch is in the multifunction control lever. To activate the front fog lights, turn the multi-function control lever to the first detent position and pull out the end of the control lever. A light in the instrument cluster shows when the front fog lights are on.

NOTE: - The switch will turn on the front fog lights if the position lights, low beam headlights, high beam headlights or rear fog lights are on. A front fog light is a lighting device that provides illumination in front of the vehicle under conditions of fog, rain, snow, or dust. Principally, the front fog light supplements the lower beam of a standard headlight system.

NOTE: - Proper aim and adjustment of the front fog lights should be made to prevent excessive glare for other drivers.

Does your switch look like this?
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/HeadlightSwitch/Jeep/GrandCherokee/1AZCC00150/1141140

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Factory installed fog lights have a over ride switch.. Toyota/Lexus you rotate the knob on the light control arm back. Non factory installed folks should have installed a switch. I have seen a LSP Trooper use this for PC for a stop. Got a DWI out of it.

This is one of those statues... That will cause another 5 pages thread.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yep it does make good PC.

I wonder how many people know it's illegal to run them when it's not inclement weather or fog?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I know, only b/c it has showed up in a previous thread, but I do not agree with it. I have never once been blinded by someones factory fog lights. In my F150 I just sold, they were not even bright enough to be able to drive the truck with fog lights only (yes, I tested it safely on private roads b/c I was curious). The angle of the lights also does not permit blinding another driver. With that said, the law is the law until changed.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    The factory lights are not the problem, it is aftermarket ones people add. BUT, I agree with the law none-the-less. When I drive my mom's Lexus, I turn the blasted things off. I run with my headlights on 24/7 regardless of weather, but make sure that I have those fog lights off before I go anywhere.

I want to install foglights on my own truck, but they will be used for what they are intended, and installed so that they can be run with headlights off (which is the only time they are useful, it is what they are meant for, but some systems are wired so they cannot be on while headlights are off)

NolaCopUSMC, thankyou for having written a ticket for it before, I wish that more cops would right tickets for that, and for turn signals. (Turn signals are my biggest pet peave)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    They would be great for a LEO working a DWI grant, just think all you have to do is sit there it seems like about 1 out of 7 vehicle's give you PC for a stop.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The factory lights are not the problem, it is aftermarket ones people add. BUT, I agree with the law none-the-less. When I drive my mom's Lexus, I turn the blasted things off. I run with my headlights on 24/7 regardless of weather, but make sure that I have those fog lights off before I go anywhere.

I want to install foglights on my own truck, but they will be used for what they are intended, and installed so that they can be run with headlights off (which is the only time they are useful, it is what they are meant for, but some systems are wired so they cannot be on while headlights are off)

NolaCopUSMC, thankyou for having written a ticket for it before, I wish that more cops would right tickets for that, and for turn signals. (Turn signals are my biggest pet peave)

I hate to agree with the JD, but turn signals chao my ass too. People are so surprised when you tell them that is why you pulled them over after they flat cut you off. It is like turn signals are optional equipment or something. The ones I like to get are:

1. Turn signals
    2. Driving in the left lane
    3. Passing in the right lane
    4. Obstructed view, which is usually a cracked windshield accompanied by a year long expired Inspection sticker, an excuse that they couldn't afford the new windshield, but they have a 50k car, 5k of rims, and custom versace interior.
    5. Wearing headphones while driving
    6. TV in view of the driver
    7. No license plate light
    8. modified exhaust
    9. loud music
    10. Failure to yeild (cutting off)

Just some of my favorites when appropriate

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Oh man, Nolacopusmc, have I got a request for you. Could you start nailing the idiots that can't read a Do Not Block Intersection sign. You know, the ones that will hold up an entire lane of mile long traffic so they can make their precious left turn.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you were to ticket me for running fog lights, I would probably laugh my ass off after I ask you to show how nighttime is not an inclement condition (i.e. lack of light = short visibility)

I would love to go to court and watch you tell the judge that one. :D

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    How do you decide who to write a ticket to, the guy riding in the left lane or the guy passing him in the right lane?

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I hate to agree with the JD, but turn signals chao my ass too. People are so surprised when you tell them that is why you pulled them over after they flat cut you off. It is like turn signals are optional equipment or something. The ones I like to get are:

1. Turn signals
    2. Driving in the left lane
    3. Passing in the right lane
    4. Obstructed view, which is usually a cracked windshield accompanied by a year long expired Inspection sticker, an excuse that they couldn't afford the new windshield, but they have a 50k car, 5k of rims, and custom versace interior.
    5. Wearing headphones while driving
    6. TV in view of the driver
    7. No license plate light
    8. modified exhaust
    9. loud music
    10. Failure to yeild (cutting off)

Just some of my favorites when appropriate

Only thing you would get me on would be the passing in the right lane....because of idiots riding the left lane.

On the plate lights, do both need to be working? Or is just one fine? :) I have to fix one of the light fixtures on my p/u

On the windshield crack, it has to be in view of driver right? I do have a long crack, but it is all in the top 5 inches of the windshield, never had a problem with inspections cause of it

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I don't remember seeing the parking lights on when the Redflex van was parked :mad:

§314. Lamps on parked vehicles

A. Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more lamps which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the vehicle, and a red light visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The location of said lamp or lamps shall always be such that at least one lamp or combination of lamps meeting the requirements of this section is installed as near as practicable to the side of the vehicle which is closest to passing traffic.

B. Whenever a vehicle is lawfully parked upon a street or highway during the hours between a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise and in the event there is sufficient light to reveal persons and vehicles within a distance of 1,000 feet upon such street or highway, no lights need be displayed upon such parked vehicle.

C. Whenever a vehicle is parked or stopped upon a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto, whether attended or unattended, during the hours between a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise and there is insufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of 1,000 feet upon such highway, such vehicle so parked or stopped shall be equipped with and shall display lamps meeting the requirements of Subsection A.

D. Any lighted head lamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed.

E. When the parking lamps are activated, the tail lamps, license plate lamps, and side marker lamps shall also be activated.

F. The foregoing provisions shall not apply to motorcycles or motor driven cycles.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1974, No. 227, §1.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    On the plate lights, do both need to be working? Or is just one fine? :) I have to fix one of the light fixtures on my p/u

Here you go JD.

§304. Tail lamps

A. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in R.S. 32:301, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. Every vehicle or trailer listed in this Subsection, other than a motorcycle or motor driven cycle registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after December 31, 1962, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which, when lighted as herein required, shall comply with the provisions of this Section.

B. Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches measured as provided in R.S. 32:302.

C. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1974, No. 140, §1; Acts 2005, No. 129, §1, eff. June 22, 2005.

Top Bottom