RS95.6

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    95.6 Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties

The definitions of what it is: A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.

The Exclusions: The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

snip
    cut
    chop
    Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

I get the "such as" part because your motor vehicle is an extension of your house.

Now my question: Is open or concealed carrying of a firearm a constitutionally protected activity? If so carrying would then be allowed. Correct?

Another question: A bicycle is also an extension of your house when you're riding it on the streets? Just like your car is when you're driving .... correct?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    95.6 Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties

The definitions of what it is: A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.

The Exclusions: The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

snip
    cut
    chop
    Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

I get the "such as" part because your motor vehicle is an extension of your house.

Now my question: Is open or concealed carrying of a firearm a constitutionally protected activity? If so carrying would then be allowed. Correct?

Another question: A bicycle is also an extension of your house when you're riding it on the streets? Just like your car is when you're driving .... correct?
    I just did a rather lengthy project on bicycles for a class and I had to read over every single bike law in the city and state. A bicycle is not treated as an extension of your home like a car is...it just falls under most, but not all laws that cars do on the streets. You cannot have a gun contained entirely within a bike as you ride on top of it and are not contained within its doors.

As for your other question I don't think it really needs to be answered. The law specifically states that you cannot carry in a firearm free zone...hence the name...

Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    The score:
    Ritten - car is not extension of your house in terms of carrying a gun
    Autin - the opposite

How do we drive past, or within 1000' of a school campus if it isn't yet 95.6 says we can?

How does the State law prohibiting carrying trump the 2nd Amendment?

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    The score:
    Ritten - car is not extension of your house in terms of carrying a gun
    Autin - the opposite

How do we drive past, or within 1000' of a school campus if it isn't yet 95.6 says we can?

How does the State law prohibiting carrying trump the 2nd Amendment?

I don't think that is what Ritten meant. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the often misquoted FACT that by law, your car is an extension of your home when there is no such provision in the law. There are many things one cannot do in their car that they're allowed to do in their home. (Hope I got all the their/there/they'res right).

When it comes to firearms, I am not willing to say that everything you can do in your home, you can do in your car. Not that I have specific statutes that say otherwise, just not 100% sure on that.

Back to your other question about the bike. I seem to remember someone asking the same thing but it involved a motorcycle and I THINK the official response was basically if you stored the firearm in some sort of container, IE a saddlebag, BEFORE you got off of the motorcycle, you were ok. I'm not sure how or if that would translate to a bicycle.

I am not a lawyer or a LEO, just a lowly Engineer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Put me down for your (motor vehicle) being an extension of your home when;
    -involving discussion on most all Firearms Laws
    -Justifiable Homicide
    -Constitutionally protected activity

The truth is that your vehicle is not an extension of your home b/c you can't do EVERYTHING in it that you can do in your home. But when talking about Justifiable Homicide and most every single firearm law, it applies. This is why when reading these laws you consistently and repetitively see "or in Motor Vehicle" Your Motor Vehicle is Private property and thus you can exercise many of the same Private property Rights pertaining to firearms as if the private property was your own home.

Most like to bring up stupid **** like, "uh...you can't have sex in your car" :rolleyes: to which everyone is usually like :doh: ... aren't we talking about Firearms? Yes, so lets stay on topic.

So when you hear someone say that, just ask them for examples of what you CAN'T do inside your vehicle that you CAN do inside your home when it pertains to Firearms, Justifiable Homicide and Constitutionally Protected Activities.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Put me down for your (motor vehicle) being an extension of your home when;
    -involving discussion on most all Firearms Laws
    -Justifiable Homicide
    -Constitutionally protected activity

The truth is that your vehicle is not an extension of your home b/c you can't do EVERYTHING in it that you can do in your home. But when talking about Justifiable Homicide and most every single firearm law, it applies. This is why when reading these laws you consistently and repetitively see "or in Motor Vehicle" Your Motor Vehicle is Private property and thus you can exercise many of the same Private property Rights pertaining to firearms as if the private property was your own home.

Most like to bring up stupid **** like, "uh...you can't have sex in your car" :rolleyes: to which everyone is usually like :doh: ... aren't we talking about Firearms? Yes, so lets stay on topic.

So when you hear someone say that, just ask them for examples of what you CAN'T do inside your vehicle that you CAN do inside your home when it pertains to Firearms, Justifiable Homicide and Constitutionally Protected Activities.

This sir. Let's stay in the lanes and not hypothetically refer to making a bald eagle omelette while driving. The vehicle is an extension of the home in the subject of legally possessing a firearm.

Top Bottom