Ruger 10/22 vs. Remington 597

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    OK, so I've been on the fence between the Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 597 for a while, now. A month ago, I was leaning toward the 597, then recently had decided on the 10/22. Now, a couple of buddies are trying to talk me back into the 597.

So, I'm hearing different things in comparing the two about accuracy and reliability of the high-cap magazines, my two primary concerns. Would like to hear others' experiences with either/both. Please keep in mind that whichever rifle I purchase, I'll be shooting it out of the box for a while before I even start to think about upgrades.

Opinions?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have a 10/22. It is a nice gun. But truth being told, I think my Marlin is more accurate when I am ravaging squirrels. Don't want to come off as a d**k, but I am an exceptional shot with those 22 rifles.

Now, is it the balance of the Marlin that makes me perceive that I shoot better, or the length, the wood stock? Don't know. I just plain shoot better with the marlin than the Ruger. Operator error perhaps.

When I lock either of them in to the Caldwell leadsled and am dialing them in on some shoot-n-cee targets; I am punching bullets throught the same holes with both?!? WTF?

In fairness to the Ruger, I really haven't used it as much as the Marlin over the years, so perhaps I should invest more time in the Ruger. But I guess it's the same menatlity as ones favorite pair of shoes, or sunglasses, or fishing pole, etc.

Sorry I can't speak to the Remington 597, I do have a nylon 66; I never use.;)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm a Remington man no doubt, but I know nothing about the 597.

I do however have a 1991 Ruger 10/22 with 17,500 rounds though it. I run Remington Bulk ammo and rarely have any failures. I had to replace the 10-rnd mag($14) on it after about 14,000 rnds. I know right? "Big deal" :p

You'll hear no complaints from me on the Ruger 10/22. I've had it since I was 10 and it rode behind the seat my truck throughout High School, on 3-wheelers and 4 wheelers, it's been dropped in the mud, run over by an ATV, and slid off the truck tool box on the asphalt. I'll shoot it until it dies and then go pay $200 for another one and hope it too last 20 YEARS!

My brother has pretty much done the same thing with his.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm a Remington man no doubt, but I know nothing about the 597.

I do however have a 1991 Ruger 10/22 with 17,500 rounds though it. I run Remington Bulk ammo and rarely have any failures. I had to replace the 10-rnd mag($14) on it after about 14,000 rnds. I know right? "Big deal" :p

You'll hear no complaints from me on the Ruger 10/22. I've had it since I was 10 and it rode behind the seat my truck throughout High School, on 3-wheelers and 4 wheelers, it's been dropped in the mud, run over by an ATV, and slid off the truck tool box on the asphalt. I'll shoot it until it dies and then go pay $200 for another one and hope it too last 20 YEARS!
    They really are throw aways! You shot more money in ammo than the gun cost 10 times over.

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I have a 10/22, a Marlin 60 and a friend has a new 597 I shot a few weeks ago. Love the 10/22, no problems with it using the factory mags, The Marlin is my main fun .22 rifle, accurate as hell and utter dependable. The 597 my friend got has had numerous jams, feed issues and when I shoot it I could hit squat! It had some type of fiber optic sights which were very nice though. My advice is...............get a Marlin 60! :D If not a Marlin, then the 10/22.

Bam Bam

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Thanks for the input, guys! Looks like I'll be sticking with the 10/22. I would go with the Marlin, Bam Bam (will get one eventually), but I already have a tube-fed semi-auto (Nylon 66) and I really want something that takes high-cap mags.

Another consideration that someone pointed out in a PM; the 597 stock is too long for youth and there aren't many aftermarket stock options for it. In contrast, the 10/22's carbine-style stock is a little shorter, which makes it more manageable for kids... plus you have many options on aftermarket stocks. I have young boys who shoot with me, so this is an important factor for me to consider.

KajunKat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Lutcher, LA
    I was considering the 597 as well. A couple buddies had them and they kind of self destructed after awhile. I think remington really missed a great oppurtunity to take on the 10/22. They should have put a few more quality components in it and manufactured it to a little tighter specs. It feels better and looks good (IMHO ruger does neither) but it just doesn't match up where it counts; accuracy, durability and reliabilty.

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a 10/22 and it is my favorite, I have the Tapco tactical furniture on it and use the butler creek 25 rd mags with the steel lips,... Rarely a jam and I shoot the cheapest ammo wally world can give me and it is pretty accurate. I plan to get another to trick out for long distance shooting. To give you an Idea I have a $19.95 scope on this thing and shoot 2 4 and six inch plates at 80 yards.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If you want to add aftermarket parts then get the 10/22. If not the remmy. Also, the remmy is available in 22mag which makes it more verstile in my opinion. But if you don't hunt that wouldn't matter.
    My 10/22 shoots through the same hole at 50yds which is good enough. When speaking about the balance of a factory 10/22, well...there isn't any. It's too light and short to have any decent balance at all.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    UPDATE: Picked up my new 10/22 Carbine (blued with wood stock) from Reynerson's Gunsmith Service a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't be happier!!! Academy had it cheaper, but Joe worked with me on the price... I'd rather buy from the local guy. Picked up a 25-round Butler Creek hot lips mag while I was there, he has them for $22 each. Fired off 10 rounds from the factory mag in the backyard, and chomping at the bit to go break her in!!!

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    UPDATE: Picked up my new 10/22 Carbine (blued with wood stock) from Reynerson's Gunsmith Service a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't be happier!!! Academy had it cheaper, but Joe worked with me on the price... I'd rather buy from the local guy. Picked up a 25-round Butler Creek hot lips mag while I was there, he has them for $22 each. Fired off 10 rounds from the factory mag in the backyard, and chomping at the bit to go break her in!!!

Should have gone with the steal lips. The hot lips tend to jam a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ehatger1456
    Top Bottom