WTS: Ruger GP100 6" 357

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Warning: don't go swimming with this revolver.

Up for sale is my 6" GP100 6-shot in 357 magnum with Hogue big butt grips, box, manual, legal stuff, and the God-awful original rubber grips. I'll throw in a pocket full of some light-loaded 38 specials if you need something to shoot.

PXL_20210430_185414986.jpgPXL_20210430_185313206.jpgPXL_20210430_192918617.jpg

Price $750

Honestly, I wouldn't have given the GP100 a second thought until I won this one in an ICORE match last year. I already had a 586 in a nearly identical configuration. This one took forever to arrive, and then I was somewhat disappointed. The action squeaked and those thoughtless grips that came from the factory annoy me to no end. It's the same grips that came with the last several S&W's I bought, so it's a long-standing discontent I have.

I realized it was the hammer rubbing that caused the squeak. I removed it, lightly hand-filed it, stoned it to make it smooth, and put it back in. Voila, it cleaned up perfectly. Now on to the grips.

To go with just about every other giant 357 I have, I opted for the big butts. They arrived, and there was a gap where the grip should have fit flush with the trigger guard. For the amount of money you pay for these things, they should fit. I sent them back to Hogue, they said "the grips are within tolerances" and then sent them back to me. We had words. Looking around online, I noticed that gap was common, but I still didn't like it. So, I put some wood putty in it and stained it. I tested it with 357's and nothing rattled off or shattered. I'm no carpenter, but it looks good. Most importantly, my finger fat doesn't get caught in there during recoil.

PXL_20210430_185734640.jpg00000IMG_00000_BURST20200807164846557_COVER.jpg The grips are fixed!

That wasn't even the first issue I've had with Hogue on that expensive line of grips, so I'm on a boycott with them right now.

The rear sight is adjustable and has a white outline. The front sight is sloped and black, but I put orange nail polish on it. It's a cute color, but I can remove it if you like.

I was looking close at the cylinder and it looks like it has a slight chamfer. I don't remember it coming from the factory chamfered and it looks too clean for me to have done it. Either way. it has a break on the edge and helps with reloads.

Most people want to know how does it compare to the 6" 586. There isn't enough difference to make a difference, especially since I slimmed and polished the hammer. The biggest difference and it's only slight, is the grip angle. The GP grip angle is closer to that of the 1911. You only notice it if you shoot one right after the other. The cylinder releases are different, but I'd say the Ruger is more intuitive than the Smith. If you're being a big time trigger snob, the Smith trigger is a little better than the GP, but not enough difference to matter.

I shot this gun in a match, and probably put 800 rounds through it all in all. Nothing about this gun makes you fell like you have to be gentle with it. Would you be gentle with a free gun? I treated it like a rental, but the gun is so solid you can't tell.

This is a really nice revolver and you wouldn't be let down by this purchase.

$750 cash, face to face in the Lafayette area, but I get around.
    Possible trades:
    SW 686 SSR
    GP100 Match Champion 357

Call or Text:
    337-344-5456

Ryan

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom