Ruger LCR opinions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Hey ladies, I am looking to purchase a Ruger LCR for my wife and was wondering if any of you have shot the new revolver and what your thoughts on the gun are. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I just took her to the range for the first time last week and taught her a little with my ruger .22 semi-auto so she is COMPLETELY new to the firearms scene. Again, thnx in advance for any help.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Being completely new to firearms, for her, a j frame would scare her away from shooting. The recoil from a j frame is not pleasant. Going from a .22 to that would be a bit of a shock.

I have a j frame and I don't even like shooting it. :D

I think a compact frame gun with a full firing grip would be more pleasant for her to shoot. Once she is comfortable and CONFIDENT handling a gun, then she will be in a better position to control a gun like a j frame.

H&K USPc
    H&K P2000sk
    G19
    G26 w/ +0 extension
    Sig P229
    S&W M&Pc
    etc.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    The LCR comes with the Hogue "TAMER" grip. It's an oversized grip that is supposed to really reduce the felt recoil. The range where I shoot is supposed to be getting a glock 19 in as a rental in the next couple of weeks. If they get an LCR as well, I'll get her to shoot both and see which one she likes best.

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    My daughter 5'0 98lb is developing an addiction to my new SW 642 Airweight. I have not introduced her to the +P loads and possibly see no reason to. We'll focus on markmanship and confidence.

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    My boss, a guy, has a new LCR and I have shot it along with my 642. He has the CT grips so I don't know about the "tamer" grips. Recoil is about the same as the 642 but the trigger is much better. I would love to have one. My wife and daughters prefer to shoot my Ruger Security Six than my 642. There is another individual in our office with an LCR. She loves hers and shoots it quite well.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Being completely new to firearms, for her, a j frame would scare her away from shooting. The recoil from a j frame is not pleasant. Going from a .22 to that would be a bit of a shock.
    Take this advice. A brand new shooter who has only shot a .22 is going to absolutely hate the recoil of a J frame. My suggestion is one of the Tupperware 9mm (XD, Glock, M&P, etc) would be the next step.

I have a j frame and I don't even like shooting it. :D
    +2

A 100 rounds of moderately powered loads plus a cylinder of defense loads and I've had enough fun with that gun for the day. I have a 642 and a LCR. Have a couple thousand rounds through the 642 and only a few hundred through the LCR. The LCR has a far better trigger than the 642. The recoil is different with the LCR. Not better or worse, just different. If I had to pick I would give a slight nod to the LCR in perceived recoil.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Thnx for the all the advice. I spoke with my wife last night and we decided to wait and let her try out the G19 and the a couple of 38's to see which one she prefers. I am kind of hoping the she likes the Glock the best, but then again, Im kind of biased. Ive been carrying a Glock with me for the past 9 years.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I was looking at getting an LCR at the Kenner gun show.
    Fortunately they had a S&W model 442 sitting near it.
    The 442 made th LCR look like a cap pistol!

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Can't help you about the specifics but I can give my two cents between my .38 revolver and my husband's G17. I love revolvers because of their classic appearance. I mean, it's just "the gun" to me.

But I do not like practicing with them. They're "play" guns for me. Go out for a few rounds but nothing serious. Personally they bruise my palms from the recoil.

My husband swapped me out to his glock and I *love* it. It's smooth, not as much reloading time and it's just.... easier. If you're buying this for her to use as a carry gun, IMO she needs to use it as often as possible. And in my experience, you just don't want to use something that's going to hurt the next day. Not much incentive there. :D

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Personally, I am a HUGE Glock advocate. I just went and bought a G35 today. I have carried Glocks as a personal protection gun since I was old enough to hold a commision. I have a membership to the local range and go VERY often. She will certainly have PLENTY of trigger time to become comfortable with ANY gun, however, since I first opened this thread, I have decided to suggest the G19 over the .38 spcl.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Bottom line is get the gun SHE wants, not what YOU think she wants. Let her try out everything she can get her hands on and let her make the decision. Since you're now leaning toward the Tupperware 9mm let her try out others besides the Glock. The XD series, the M&P series, and others are also worth consideration. Let her try them all out and one will float to the top as her favorite.

Guns are like underwear. Every person has an individual preference.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Wife has an LCR (when I dont borrow it!) and just put Crimson Trace grips on last night and will be taking to the range tomorrow to "shorten" the distance on the laser sight. They come factory at 50' but I believe they should be set more at 20 - 30 ft. They seem low even at 50 but we'll see once we get to shoot it with the new grip. Excellent choice for self defense! Wife is 5'2 and a buck 05 and loves the snap!! She's CCW and is loving her choice.

DeeMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    So. Louisiana
    I've been looking at the LCR myself and now I'm a bit concerned about the recoil. I have an old S&W 38 cal that in my younger days I could handle pretty well. Now at my age, I find the recoil on it a bit unnerving. I now have a Springfield XD 9MM and I really like it. It is a 3"sub compact with a handle safety and that safety is what really sold me on this gun. It is light to carry and easy to remove from my purse. It also had an indicator on top that lets you know if it is racked or not. Good gun to start off with.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    My LCR has a super slick trigger (better than my Detective Special) and with the Hogue grip, it even recoils less than the heavier gun. I think the polymer frame may have something to do with that. It's also very light in the holster.

Since she's only fired a .22, for her first practice session, you can fire .38 S&W Long or Short in the .38 special, just like using .38 Special in a .357 Mag. The cartridges are all the same except for length and pressure (and recoil).

Top Bottom