Ruger Mark II help!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scrub316

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a ruger mark II, I purchased the gun about 5 years ago. It does have an internal threaded barrel and was curious if this was something that would have came factory from ruger or did the previous owner have the machining done. I was looking at possibly trading the gun and need to know if the status of the barrel being threaded is a positive or a negative. I know this weapon is up for banning pending Osama can get his list passed. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I don't exactly follow what you mean by internal threaded barrel.
    Is your barrel threaded at the muzzle to attach a comp or suppressor?

Or are you referring to the barrel being threaded into the upper?

Pics always help.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Seeing that is a first for me.

Sorry I can't help, but I want to see where this goes....

Some quick & dirty research here makes me believe that it's aftermarket. I hope you have some sort of adapter for it. Accessories may be difficult to find outside of the shop that did the work.

But I'm no expert....

Last edited:

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    From the picture there, it looks like you have a piece that will thread into the barrel and give you male threads on the outside.

Not real sure why someone would have done it this way unless they didn't want to go to the trouble of moving the front sight and refinishing the gun.

As long as the threaded piece is 1/2 x 28 threads, I don't see a problem with it being done this way, just not common.

As far as it being a plus or negative, if the threads are 1/2 x 28 I suppose it would be more positive. I don't see it effecting price too much if thats what you're wondering.

Maybe add $20-$50 to the price.

Good luck.

Scrub316

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah i have the adapter piece that threads into it. I hadn't seen another one done this way as well at local shows or online. Doesn't seem to effect the accuracy, but of course seeing threaded barrel on the ban list doesn't reassure me it worth hanging onto for the just in case purposes lol. Thanks for your help guys

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    So you're getting rid of it because it *might* be banned?

So what if it is? You're in LA. Which police officers do you know that would be retarded enough to go door to door enforcing that? I grant there's a few, but I have faith they'll all be killed on someone's doorstep within a month.

All a "ban" will mean is that no more will be manufactured, thus driving up the value.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Never seen that before.
    Guess its another way of doing things.
    Definitely aftermarket and interesting.
    Do you mind if i post this over on rimfire central? If any can tell you anything about this someone there could.

Scrub316

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    no problem with that 3fifty7. And no I don't know any officer that would be stupid enough to enforce any law requiring confiscating weapons, I am not looking at selling it for the purpose of worrying about a ban, but for a piece I shoot on occasion and the stupidity that does come with the fed and local gov't it's just an something I am considering just for the "what if".

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Personally, I'd hang on to it for another month or six. Like I said, the value will skyrocket if it ever becomes a "pre-ban" gun with it's evil threaded barrel and detachable magazines.

But that's just me. In the last 15 years, I've only traded one gun, and haven't sold any. My reasoning is that if it was cool enough to purchase, and I get rid of it, there's no guarantee I'll ever get around to getting another one like it given the climate over the last decade or so.

Hope you get something cool for it.

Top Bottom