Ruger MkIII Assembly

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nwiniewicz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Geismar, LA
    Anyone especially proficient in putting these back together? After breaking down for the first time, I have spent the better part of the morning trying to correctly re-assemble. I thought I had it this last time, however the trigger is not responding. Now when I try to remove the mainspring housing, it will not come free from the grip assembly.

Suggestions? This is especially frustrating!!!

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    The youtube videos helped me but it would help to know at what point you are at as far as assembly if its a issue with putting the bolt back in you have to hold the trigger down. Tbh i damn near hold the trigger down all the time now that i have had to deal with the head ach of tearing my wifes down a few times as a learning experience.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Follow the step-by-step in the owner's manual. It may still take a few tries, as it involves a LOT of inserting and removing the magazine. You have to be especially careful about the position of the internal components when you go to put the final piece back on.

I thought I'd get faster over time with it, but that hasn't happened so far.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    mine was a PITA also, but I figured it out, before putting in the mainspring, you have to make sure the hammer is in the right position and also hold the gun muzzle pointed vertically.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    It sounds like the hammer-strut is either stuck to the side of the mainspring and not in its little depression at top or maybe stuck behind the top pin in the housing itself. I think you might have to force the mainspring out again and start fresh.

That said, go here: http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html There is more info than you will ever need to maintain and entirely strip any Ruger .22 pistol. Step-by-step instructions, a troubleshooting section and pictures throughout by someone who REALLY knows Ruger pistols. This'll fix ya up quickly! :)

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    You might be able to bring it to a gun shop as well i did that the first time field stripped my wifes the guys were nice enough to put it back togethor for me free of charge. They do have some gun shops that won't touch the things though so i would call ahead if you decide to go that route. The next time i stripped the gun i took my sweet time with it using the youtube vids that the guys already linked for you as well as reading the manuel over and over but the visuals have always been easier for me to understand.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Anyone especially proficient in putting these back together? After breaking down for the first time, I have spent the better part of the morning trying to correctly re-assemble. I thought I had it this last time, however the trigger is not responding. Now when I try to remove the mainspring housing, it will not come free from the grip assembly.

Suggestions? This is especially frustrating!!!

I live in Prairieville close to you and own a Mk III Hunter and have dis-reassembled it many times. If yo need help I'm pming you my phone number. I will help you. Charles

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I got a few Ruger MKs and they can be tempermental. The youtube/manual have always hepled me out of a jam. When you say the trigger is not responding is it stuck in place or not resetting/firing?
    Once this ordeal is over with Id suggest a Clark or SamLam bushing - this will aid in disassembly/reassembly and improve your tirgger pull.

nwiniewicz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Geismar, LA
    THanks for all the replies. The trigger is not stuck but is not resetting. Now the mainspring assembly will not fully come out. I believe the hammer is in the incorrect position but I am unable to free it.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    THanks for all the replies. The trigger is not stuck but is not resetting. Now the mainspring assembly will not fully come out. I believe the hammer is in the incorrect position but I am unable to free it.

Did you force it into that position? When I get it wrong the mainspring has always come out.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    As far as the trigger goes when I bought my MKII used, the trigger would not reset on its own but I could push the trigger forward with my finger and fire. It was a problem with the sear spring being in the wrong position, due to the previous owner.

So the mainspring will swing open but not pull out of the upper, is this correct?

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Went through this for the first time here recently, managed to jam everything together so well that I had to push the hammer and sear pins out to let the thing come back apart. It was worth it though, couldn't believe how dirty the thing was, and now I think I could do it in a week instead of two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom