Ruger Service-Six Rehab Project

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    This here is a Ruger Service-Six .357mag that my dad had lurking in his safe from the old Pawn Shop days. It has a lot of finish wear, had a lot of rust and a broken off front sight. Sound like a perfect project gun for me. I located a front sight (unfortunately, the only one I could locate was stainless). I hope to be able to fit it tomorrow, then I will look at working on the trigger and hammer and decide what type of finish to apply. Does anybody have any finish suggestions? Duracote or Ceracote maybe? Also, does anyone know of anybody that makes a front Night sight that fits this or one that could be made to work? The front sight was cheap, so I wouldn't mind replacing it for a tritium insert sight. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 104
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      19.1 KB · Views: 93
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      15.6 KB · Views: 93

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well you could put the high tech spray paint on it. But unless the metal is very pitted I'd try to rust blue it.

Dave

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Any suggestions on a DIY blue kit? How much does a gunsmith usually charge for a blue job? I generally like to do stuff myself though.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    A whole lot of metal prep goes into a great blue job. While I think it could be done DIY, it takes a lot of practice to get it right. I've read enough about it to determine I don't have the time to do it right.

I think Barking Irons was getting the gear to do a hot blue. I never asked if they got it in.

Turnbull manufacturing is known for the most accurate reblue jobs out there.

Ruger would probably do it as well.

Those guns are becoming more valuable every day. The only way to preserve or increase it's current value is to blue.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with Gus. I might try Ruger first. I assume they could re-stamp the stamps afterwards to make sure they're still clean and not an obvious reblue. Colt did that anyway so I assume Ruger could.

Dave

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Step one, motivate myself to work on the gun by completely disassembling it, CHECK. Next step will be doing a complete and thorough cleaning followed by a polishing of the trigger and hammer. Question, should I leave the trigger with a grooved face or grind it to a smooth profile? I think that I am leaning towards the smooth trigger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 74
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 75

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Step one, motivate myself to work on the gun by completely disassembling it, CHECK. Next step will be doing a complete and thorough cleaning followed by a polishing of the trigger and hammer. Question, should I leave the trigger with a grooved face or grind it to a smooth profile? I think that I am leaning towards the smooth trigger.

Are you talking about the front of the trigger where you finger rests?

If so I say smooth, My sp101 can get uncomfortable at times if I apply to much pressure from the side.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Realized that the front sight that I ordered is actually for the Security Six, not the Police Service Six. Luckily I have a line on the correct sight. They seem to be hard to get (actually almost impossible).

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Finally received the new front sight. It is a Millet Orange bar Front Sight. Shame that Millet is no longer making iron sights, I miss them. I put it in, clamped it down and drilled the pin hole. Progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 46
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 49
    Top Bottom