Ruger SR .22 LR Automatic?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Ruger has a, new to me, little .22 Automatic and I believe it is called the SR 22. Does anyone out there have one of these and how does it stack up against other 22's? I'm thinking of buying one for my wife and want a little feed back before I buy something. I own a Ruger .22 with the 1911 style grip and have had four or five others through the years, but this little pistol appealed to both of us and I would like you opinion.

The little SIG is out! I've seen too many complaints that they fail to fed or fire.

Thanks for your opinions, Buddy

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    It is by far my favorite plinker I own. I put 550 rounds through it this weekend and over 1000 total in the past month. It eats anything you feed it unlike most .22 pistols out there. I have only had one non feed so far. I highly recommend one. Any other questions I will be glad to answer.

IMG_0402.jpg

Last edited:

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I have put about 600-800 rounds through mine and almost every mag has a ftf. Its like it doesnt cycle the bulk federal ammo good enough. It will eject the round but not grab another. I have read plenty about how its due to cheap ammo and they run flawlessly on cci but i havent had a chance to try any out yet. Other than that I really do like the gun and its really accurate. the slide kinda catches halfway back and i think this is part of the problem. I was undecided between this sr22 and the p22 and from what ive read the slide on the p22 sucks.

Last edited:

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had a Walter P22 that I sold to get the Ruger SR-22. Both are around the same size. The SR-22 is very reliable but I cannot shoot a decent group with it at 25 yards. I called Ruger about it and they sent me a shipping label to return for service.
    The Ruger is well made and I like the safety setup better than the P22. The trigger on Ruger SR22 is not the best.
    I could shoot 3 inch groups or smaller at 25 yards with the P22 all day while the groups with the Ruger are about the size of a basketball.
    I check with Ruger Forum and other people had similar issues that were resolved. Some had defected barrels and some had barrels that were loose. I checked both on my SR 22 and all seemed good.
    There are a lot of good reviews of the Ruger SR22 and I assume Ruger will fixed mine

Last edited:

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I havent had any luck with the federal bulk. I read that maybe it needs to be broken in. I also noticed alot of metal shavings inside the gun after about 500 rounds.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Update: I have since ran over a thousand rounds through my sr22 and it runs flawlessly. I only shoot CCI minimags through it but it runs great and I shoot it a lot.

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I have also been looking at this gun. I want a small frame 22 for my 9 yr old son and wife to shoot. I have looked at the sig and m and p. The sig has issues from what i have read. The p22 is out for me because my brother has one and it's a p.o.s! Nothing but problems. I finally decide to get one and now they are all gone. If anyone knows where they may be let us know!

jquinnett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Bossier City, LA
    Have a SR22 and love it....replaced the Walther P22, which was a nice gun but ammo sensitive,funny plastic sights, odd Euro mag release on trigger guard, and Zinc slide-but very very accurate. Once the crazy stuff stops -check Academy Sports or CDNN.com for magazines. I see a few SR22s in Pawn shops, but just keep checking.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I also noticed alot of metal shavings inside the gun after about 500 rounds.

The last few ruger autos I have taken apart had alot of metal shavings in the various channels. You would think ruger could spend some of those profits and buy an air compressor to blow out the machining remnants... Another reason I do not buy ruger anymore.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I like Ruger and the SR22 is probably a great weapon. But the deal breaker for the SR22 is that it doesn't come with a threaded barrel to put a suppressor on it. My Walther P22 does. The Walther was a little finicky about ammo when I first got it but I had to learn the gun. Too much oil is a no-no for the P22, clean ALL traces of oil after cleaning and then use a toothpick and place a very small amount on the rails.....anything more than that is trouble. I have over 8,000 rounds through mine with no problems.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I like Ruger and the SR22 is probably a great weapon. But the deal breaker for the SR22 is that it doesn't come with a threaded barrel to put a suppressor on it. My Walther P22 does. The Walther was a little finicky about ammo when I first got it but I had to learn the gun. Too much oil is a no-no for the P22, clean ALL traces of oil after cleaning and then use a toothpick and place a very small amount on the rails.....anything more than that is trouble. I have over 8,000 rounds through mine with no problems.

They do come with threaded barrel.

Out of stock but an example
    http://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?m...products_id=15935&referrer=CNWR_4711341587395

MOΛΩN ΛABE

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My sister likes hers, after she sent it back to ruger because it wouldn't shoot point of aim/point of impact even with the sights adjusted to the extreme. It is unfortunate you have to replace the barrell to suppress it, where the competitors just need an adapter.

I've had my P22 since 07 without any problems except when dirty and dry. Almost an exclusive diet of Federal Bulk too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom