Ruger SR9 vs Springfiled xdm 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmounce

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I would like your oppions on these two guns. I know all about the recall and would like oppions on the sr9 after recall. I'm a huge ruger fan for ever and really like the way the sr9 fits the hand. Best price on both guns are 419.00 for sr9 and 579 for xdm 9mm. I can't see speding the extra money on xdm, but please give me your oppions. This gun will strictly be for home defense and plinking at range.

Thanks Gary

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Whichever feels best. I'm a huge fan of the Springfields in general, but, again, whatever feels most comfortable in your hand. Also, try to find somewhere you can shoot them both. The Muzzleflip may feel different on both, so that could affect your decision as well.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    they both have great warranties, but I'm leaning towards the XDm, due to all the features like match barrel, 19+1 capacity etc...

gmounce

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I have not found a range that rents the xdm 9, but have found that precision rents the sr9 and will be taking a trip asap to shoot my glock 22 and 19 and also rent the sr9 to see how it shoots.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    XDM has (i believe) the highest capacity of any 9mm, as well as a very light trigger pull and interchangable back straps. I know I sound like a sales man, i swear i'm not, lol. Maybe ask around the board if someone will let you shoot a few rounds through theirs if you buy the ammo. I'd be more than willing, but I dont have the XDM. Anyway, IMHO, the difference in features pales if you dont feel comfortable with the gun in your hand and with the amount of muzzle flip/recoil the gun has.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    SR9 all the way. I have one with the new trigger and I love it. XDs are good but,I am a Ruger fan. This would be my seventh Ruger,not including the Mini 14,10/22,M77/22 and the Red Label.

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    I've had my sr9 about 6 months over 500 rounds of whatever I could find and not one f2f or jam my 13 yr old daughter shoots it with no problem

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Paging LSU2010... Paging LSU2010.

He's my roommate and has an SR9. I have an XD9 (not the XDm). I love my XD and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's reliable, durable, accurate, very ergonomical, has the chambered round indicator and the firing pin indicator (like the SR9) AND can shoot a chambered round without a magazine in the gun (unlike the SR9 if I recall correctly).

The last memory I have of my roommate, before he moved to Hawaii to "work" for the summer (bastard), is him sitting at the kitchen table with his laptop, a set of screw drivers, and a gun cleaning kit trying to figure out SOME way to dismantle the magazine safety so his gun could shoot without a magazine.

I'd say it's preference, my XD is a lot snappier than his SR9 is with the same ammo. I've also heard a rumor about the SR9s and how they like to stovepipe a lot. I've put almost 1000 rounds through my XD and haven't had a single malfunction. Maybe someone with an SR9 can shed more light on this topic.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    My sr9 had no issues whatsoever through about 400 rds. I sold it and got an M&P pro because I wanted diff sights and a better trigger. I loved the Sr9 though and its hard to beat for the price.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd personally go with the XDM-9 or an M&P-9 over the Ruger. But like everyone else said...see which fits you best. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I have not found a range that rents the xdm 9, but have found that precision rents the sr9 and will be taking a trip asap to shoot my glock 22 and 19 and also rent the sr9 to see how it shoots.

I know you are asking about the 9 and I can't help with that BUT I do have a XDM40 a few XD 40's and a XD SC9 you are welcome to shoot anytime as long as you feed the ammo ;)

Just trying to help out. :)

Bladebu1

1 more old SeaBee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Diamondhead Ms
    I have a XD 40 and a XDM 9 I offer if you want to come shoot it but look where I live

I love my XD's but it has been said before what fits in your hand

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    My xdm9 has been great, it is definitely accurate and easy to shoot. 19+1, ambi mag release, match barrel, loaded chamber indicator, firing pin indicator, grip safety, interchangeable back strap, did i mention 19+1:)

bkpkr1107

Captain Obvious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    i have a 4" xd 45 and an xd sc 9mm. these guns have never given me any issues, simple to operate, easy to shoot and clean. i know ruger makes excellent revolvers but i have no experience with their autos. if you want to shoot the 9 let me know. good luck with you decision.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The SR9 has been recalled. I've been led to believe that it has a poor trigger unless you remove the factory installed magazine disconnect. But it is slimmer feeling and points better for me. However I've never read anything bad about the XD series.

Dave

Top Bottom