rust on my receiver... recommendations?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    i aquired a S&W sigma 9mm today from my mother-in-law. it belonged to her brother who passed away about two years ago.

the problem is that the pistol was left in the case during this time and began to rust. it covers about 80% of the outer surface area, but dosen't appear to be pitted. i stripped the receiver clean of all parts, and sprayed it with WD-40 for the time being.

who or where do you guys recommend i take it to be repaired?

obviously, the most cost efficient, and expediant option is prefered, but workmanship goes without saying.....

thanks for your input.

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    here it is....

P8010311.jpg

i will start calling around, but if any of the sponsors care to give a ruff estimate, here or throught PM, i would be much appreciated.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Some KROIL and 000 steel wool and some time and you should be fine. Depends what you want to accomplish. If nothing else you could hit it with some cold blue when your done and go shoot it !

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    i would just try to clean it up and shoot it its not really worth geting reblued a sigma in good shape is only worth $250 to $300 tops so to me if it was mine i would not spend money on geting it blued just trying cleaning it up

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Make sure to check the barrel, if the slide has that level of rust. I would saturate with breakfree soak for a day or two and wipe it down and repeat until rust stop showing on rag. Congrats on the new toy.

skyblue

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    mandeville
    Start small. Don't make this more than it might be. If the firearm has a thin coat of rust with blue showing through then you probably can take care of it yourself. Get some 0000 steel wool and rub until rust disappears. It will remove the rust and bring oout the blues' lustre that it had when it left the factory. You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money somewhere. You can do this yourself with a little time and patience. If your lacking these call me at 985-502-6016.

Top Bottom