S&W Combat Masterpiece.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge

I just scored a Model 15-2 which was made in 1963. It has the original box, with the unfilled out warranty card, manual, packing paper, and dry fire card. It has aftermarket target grips but the seller also gave me a pair of the diamond grips which would be correct to the weapon as made. Beautiful bluing, great trigger. Not a light trigger but a smooth DA pull with great rebound. Very controllable for those versed in DA revolver triggers. The SA trigger is light and crisp without any over travel. This handgun has the wide target trigger and wide target hammer which came with the gun according to the box. The color case hardening on them is also beautiful. No MIM'ed parts. Pinned barrel.

The only blemish is slight muzzle wear and some very minor highlights on the edges of the cylinder.

Dave

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Nice find!! I'm a sucker for the old Smith's!

I lucked up on an old 38spl. I bought it because I wanted a shooter. I didnt want to take out and shoot the others because they were in minty condition. It was nickel and the finish wasn't great, but that didn't bother me because I wanted a shooter. Once i got it, I noticed it was a 4" nickel model 14 with a heavy barrel. After further investigation, I realized I had a somewhat rare "Hanen Special" or "Dayton Gun" which were produced, in a limited run, for the Dayton Gun Headquarters in Dayton, Ohio. I read that only a few thousand were produced. Its a great revolver, and the trigger is awesome! I love those old Smith's!!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys.

I agree the old S&W and old Colt's both are superior in fit and finish than any regular made revolver now. I'd say that this one at least is superior to any revolver I've handled that's come out of S&W's Performance Center in the last decade or so.

The amount of people who know what to look for in a quality DA revolver trigger gets smaller every year too. The only way they know to measure it is by how light it is and not one second glance is paid to trigger rebound. Trigger rebound on a DA revolver is as important as trigger pull for rapid shots. I've handled some revolvers that have come out of nationally known gunsmiths who were not nearly as nice as the factory trigger pull on a revolver made prior to 1970.

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom