S&W mod 10-6 357 cal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ltmdrbr

fishnhunt
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Until a friend mentioned looking for a .357 I had pretty much forgotten about mine. I have an S&W model 10-6 that has been sitting around unused for way to long. When we switched to automatics in the early 90's it went into the closet. I just don't takethe time to shoot like I once did years ago.

Any idea if this gun would be of interest to folks around here? For the life of me I can't find the original wood grips. Other than some minor holster wear on the end of the barrel I think it is in great shape.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the model 10 a .38 Special?

Nevermind, I just found this:

After a small prototype run of Model 10-6 revolvers in .357 Magnum caliber, Smith and Wesson introduced the Model 13 heavy barrel in carbon steel and then the Model 65 in stainless steel. Both revolvers featured varying barrel weights and lengths—generally three and four inches with and without underlugs (shrouds). Production dates begin in 1974 for the Model 13 and end upon discontinuation in 1999. The Model 65 was in production from 1972-1999.[3] Both the blued and stainless models were popular with police and FBI and a variation of the Model 65 was marketed in the Lady Smith line from 1992-1999. Circa 2005, S&W discontinued all K-frame .357 Magnums in favor of the L frame size.

And to answer your question. Yes, I am sure several folks on here would be interested in it.

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    In 1972 serveral thousand were chambered in .357 magnum for the N.Y.P.D 4 inch heavy barrel predecessor to the model 13.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    IIRC, these had a slightly heavier contour barrel than the eventual production M-13s (which were the same as the heavy barrel .38 M-10s).

That puppy is rare enough to be of interest to a serious collector.

I personally kick myself every time I think about the NIB M-520 (intended for the NYSP, but they declined to buy the production lot once it was completed in 1980) I passed on many years ago. To my mind, that iteration was the perfect .357 revolver; heavy duty enough not to "shoot loose" with a lot of magnum burrets, yet no unnecessary extras like target sights/trigger/hammer, etc.

If you PM me, I'll tell you where you can find a LNIB 520, via internet from a reputable dealer here in LA, for right around $999.00. If they still have it that is. (trying to pay you back for that Glock 19 deal)

And I agree with you. While my all time fave is the Model 28 for the reasons you stated, the 520 is simpler and just about impossible to screw up.

And it's purdy too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom