S&W model 29 6 inch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    Was looking for a little info don't really know much bout s&w revolver. I was given this one as a gift some time back, in the original box just as it came cleaning kit and all is there also have original box of bullets was only fired bout 12 times..... So my question is this what's it worth?! It's been in my safe for awhile and it's not really my style was thinking bout getting rid of it........ Thanks for any info

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    Don't get me wrong it's really cool... Just expensive ammo and I lean twards long guns was just cleaning the safe today and saw it in the back and realized I haven't had it out of there in over year. And like I said I really don't know much about it the guy who gave it to me is gone now which of course is a major reson not to let it go..... I will post a pic all I have is my iPhone right now laptop has aids lol if I can figure out how I'll get em up

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    ggamble

There are a number of things that will affect the value of your S&W
    You said you still have the box. This adds to it
    Low round count. This adds a lot as well. It will be LNIB or somewhere close
    The chambering will add a lot. This will vary. The gun to have might be a 28-2 4” bbl for a while
    Then it can be a 34-1 RB 2’ bbl. Then everybody might have the hots for the Model 15-something for a while

The model 29 is in vogue at this time. It has been in and out before.
    Marlin going out of business has sent up the price of the 1894 leverguns in 357 and 44 mag and the S&Ws that go with them

What is the dash number on yours? The dash number will be right behind the 29-
    This will make all the difference at this time. S serial numbers are the fad now. This will pass and something else will take its place

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    QuickDraw .... Right now I am really just trrying to get more info on what I have thank you though if I do part with it I'll def let you know
    Jimmyb.... Thanks for the details this is a 44 mag and the model number on the box just says 29 as for the serial # it starts with "a" not sure if that's what you are referring to

Also I do have some pics but the iPhone thing is holding me up if anyone wouldn't mine me emailing them to them and posting them for me I sure would appreciate it thanks again to both of you

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Open up the cylinder. On the frame there will be 29-something. I would guess it’s a later dash number such as 29- 4, 29-5 or larger.

You say the serial number starts with an ’A’? I’m familiar with more vintage such the ’S’(1960s) or an ’N’(1970s) as far as price goes

At this time a model 29 made in the 1960s in the hot item. Its serial # will start with an ’S’

I would say yours is a fairly recent production. Does your gun have the internal lock hole?
    The hole will be right above the thumb piece
    The ‘Hole’ , often referred to as the ’Hillary Hole’ will greatly deduct value from a S&W aficionado
    It may not deduct that much on this board

Also, 4” guns are more in vogue than 6” at this time

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    Jimmyb thanks again.... There is no "Hillary hole" opened it up it's -8 the bullets have a price tag that dates it 1986 when I got it I was told he bought it new along with the ammo wanted to be like dirty Harry lol so I think that is a pretty god indication of the date of manufacture again let me know what ya think and as always I thank everyone for their knowledge !

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    Btw QuickDraw just to answer ur question I'm really into long range shooting also have a thing for th ak's. Have too many of them ... If that's possible lol but some how they have me hooked

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    The gun was probably made in the 1980s. It must not have been the first Dirty Harry movie but the second or third one that prompted your friend to buy a 29
    I don’t have the S&W catalog with me as I’m at off shore at this time.
    If you will go to a Booksamillion bookstore they will have the S&W catalog 3rd edition. You should be able to look up when the gun was made.
    You will want to know if your gun has MIM parts. This will deduct from re-sale as well. For most people anyway. The book will say based on the dash number

If you will look at the back of the trigger, it will either be solid or look hollowed out
    If it’s solid it will be a forged part. The catalog will say so as well. A gun with forged parts is more desirable(higher priced) than one with MIM parts

Not having the ‘Hillary Hole’ is a big plus

Last edited:

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    If you’re looking for a price, I’d say $650 to $750. For me, no more than $650 if it was a 4”
    I wouldn’t be interested in a 6”. Maybe at $450
    That’s the tough part about guns in general and S&Ws specifically

Desirable features such as S or N serial numbers, forged parts, grips numbered to gun, 4” barrel, etc... will add to the price and they sell much faster

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    I'm out of town as well but I'm stuck working here for the next few months:( I do get to go home at the end of this month I looked at the back offend trigger and it is solid the only hole is in the hammer it looks like some sort of role pin.... U have a price range on these? I really do think it was probably purchased bout 1986 if that's any help at all like I had said I'd like to know what Ive got here and I've got to say u sure have ALOT of knowledge bout these

ggamble

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    lake chuck
    Yes it is in like new condition however I do not have a magnifying glad and it's 50/50 on a 3 or an 8 lap972 thanks for the heads up as far as the round butt if ur referring to the bottom of the grip it is flat again I do have a few pics to email if I can get y'all to post for me and as always thanks for the info

Top Bottom