S&W Model 63 or 617

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • francis8709

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Looking at my next purchase. Want a .22lr pistol that is able to shoot the whole range of .22 sizes and velocities.

For the guys who have handled these, I am interested in your thoughts and reviews. Not trying to compare them but wanted to see about fit, function, etc. I am more interested in the new 8 and 10 shot models.

Is it just me or has the S&W revolver prices shot up in the last few months or year? Can't seem to find one for under $650. I dunno.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Looked at both. Reviews favored the 617. Bought it for the wife. 4 inch barrel, 10 shot. She loves it and she's pretty good with it. Very tight, nice quality, not cheap. Only handled a 63 one time so I can't compare.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I had a 617-2 (6" 10 shot) which was one of my favorite revolvers, and most people at the range loved it too! In all honesty though, the 6" does get a little heavy and as such, I would recommend the 4".

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I've got both. For hiking/woods walking, the 63 is a whole lot easier on the hip.
    The 617 w/4" barrel & 10 shots really shines though, at range & precision work.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Another consideration is the model 317. I have a 317-2 with a 3 inch barrel, and adjustable hi-viz sights. This light weight has become my favorite 22. In a holster you don't notice it , light and compact...but the 3 inch , adjustable hi-viz sights are easier to pick up, now that I'm older. Any 22 that slips in the chamber works, shorts to hyper-velocity. 8 shot is good. I have absolutely fell in love with this little jewel. And I do have others...a S&W model 41, Ruger MKI and Ruger MKII. But they all stay home now when we go shooting. I LOVE IT.
    If you don't care for the HI-VIZ sight it is easy to swap out the pinned in blade front and V blade in rear for a standard sight. I have come to appreciate that bright front sight but some don't care for them.

Gary

francis8709

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys. Think I will split the difference on opinions and suggestions and look for the new model 63. Small enough and light enough to pack while still having fun and its stainless, my favorite. I am apprehensive about the aluminum framed and cylinder revolvers. I owned the big R8 and never had a problem but I rather something I can buff if a scratch appears.

Now I just need to acquire around $700.... Ha

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had a 617 6inch barrel for about 10 years. Loved it and only sold it to get money for my tactical solutions suppressor. I plan on buying a 4 inch version at some point. I think I probably put about 4K rounds through the 617 prior to selling it.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Shooter's Club in Harahan has a 617 for rent.
    Why not give that a try first to see if it is what you want?

http://www.shootersclub.com/
    Phone: (504) 737-7822

Give them a call before you go to make certain it is available.
    Good folks, great range and you can figure it out for yourself before buying.
    They're open on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom