S&W revolvers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    What's the deal with the prices of these? I'm not flaming or bashing or whatever. I just really don't get it. They take a gun, put a lock on it, use MIM parts and mark the price up 50%? On top of this.. the older and more you use your S&W revolver the higher the resell value of it rises. I understand economic fluctuations in the price of goods but none of this makes sense. :confused:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I agree . The retail prices of S&W revolvers is crazy . No way in hell would I pay that kind of money . I just bought a used Model 19 . I could have it reblued by S&W and put a new set of grips on it and still be money ahead .

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    What's the deal with the prices of these? I'm not flaming or bashing or whatever. I just really don't get it. They take a gun, put a lock on it, use MIM parts and mark the price up 50%? On top of this.. the older and more you use your S&W revolver the higher the resell value of it rises. I understand economic fluctuations in the price of goods but none of this makes sense. :confused:

Not seeing this.

But then, I only buy no-locks....

And good deals.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I have several Smith revo's and i a not defending them, but there is a ton of hand fitting work that goes into building them. Just saying, i know this for a fact.

No doubt that they are more labor intensive to build . I won't argue that point . But , prices just seem out of line considering the technology available and the fact that that the design of the revolvers hasn't changed drastically .

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    No doubt that they are more labor intensive to build . I won't argue that point . But , prices just seem out of line considering the technology available and the fact that that the design of the revolvers hasn't changed drastically .

Prices of FA are out of line with what you outline, but their are other factors.
    (Supply/Demand) If we're talking no locks.

For current production (If that is your subject) I have no answer and little knowledge.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You're right a handgun that's entirely machined, forged, (except for the MIM'ed stuff) and hand fitted should cost a lot less. But in a world where H&K can charge the prices it does when it's cost per plastic gun unit is close to a GLOCK (which has a 65% profit margin) than I just don't know. Plastic framed guns cost a lot less than their metal counter parts. What does H&K charge for it's handguns?

Dave

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    The price you pay for other than a J frame is for that Smith & Wesson double action trigger. And now you can get it in a gun with considerable weight savings over the old school carbon steel models. Ain't nobody else touching that.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    It is kind of strange that the retail prices of S&W revolvers has increased while the prices of other guns has not increased appreciably. I remember when I worked in a gun store about two years ago, a glock was $519 and a S&W 686 was about $599. Now, the Glock is still $519 and the S&W is like over $700.

Kinda pisses me off, because S&W revolvers are my favorite.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    S&W

I wonder if they dropped some models if they could not drop prices.also all these mag calibers can contribute to damage to your wrist.I am happy with my mod 52 and my mod 10 with bomar rib and bull barrel.:D:(

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I own/owned several S&W revolvers so yes... I can speak of their quality. If they would ditch the lock and scrap the MIM parts I would not hesitate to purchase a new revolver at current prices.

Yes it's a free market and you're free to charge what you want for your goods/services there is something called integrity that should come into play when you want to sell your well used Model 66 with pitted finish that looks like someone tried to use a knife to pry the cylinder open at the crane for $600.

It's just a shame to see that we have set aside certain values in the name of "making a buck" off our free enterprise system.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    I own/owned several S&W revolvers so yes... I can speak of their quality. If they would ditch the lock and scrap the MIM parts I would not hesitate to purchase a new revolver at current prices.

Yes it's a free market and you're free to charge what you want for your goods/services there is something called integrity that should come into play when you want to sell your well used Model 66 with pitted finish that looks like someone tried to use a knife to pry the cylinder open at the crane for $600.

It's just a shame to see that we have set aside certain values in the name of "making a buck" off our free enterprise system.

Sorry, but I disagree. I see guns all the time that I would buy if the price was somewhat lower. If you have a beat up S&W model 66 and you want a $1,000.00 for it...I've got a choice. I can buy it or pass. If you sell it to someone for a grand...it wasn't over priced. If you can't sell it you then have a choice to make. As soon as you get it to a price that someone is willing to pay...it isn't overpriced.

I see guns on this forum that are used and being offered for sale at new prices or more. If they are able to sell them for what they are asking, they must not be over priced. Supply and demand.

Buddy

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    if someone is or isn't willing to pay the price for something doesn't deem it overpriced or not... That's why even in our free enterprise system we have "fair" trade commissions and other assorted BS

LSP-thank you for seeing the point. The thread title is "S&W revolvers" and not "S&W revolver prices". As I said in my last post. I have no problem paying for quality (however fleeting it may be). I recently obtained several S&W revolvers for a client and was turned off at how they were built. Taurus revolvers were made better back in the 90's. I am starting to believe that since they can't just take all our guns away the Anti's have bought up arms manufacturers and are going to force us to buy Hi-points with the S&W trademark on them.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Well said, Buddy. Its all about what's important to the buyer. I recently dropped large coin on a genuine Colt 1911A1. One acquaintance remarked, "You could have bought a bunch of Glocks for that money!"

Yup... but I HAVE some Glocks. And he missed the entire point- I wasn't buying a .45 pistol. I bought a piece of history.

Ditto the older, PROPER S&W revolvers. If I was in the market for one, I wouldn't think twice about paying the asking price of a good-condition 3.5" M-27, S-frame M-29, or any of the other "collectible" revolvers that have grown into something of a cult item/s. They truly "don't make them like that any more", and if you desire a good specimen its going to cost you.

S&W went to the current production methods for one simple reason... if they made them the old-fashioned way, you think you're crying about the price now??? Those older guns were made during an era when craftsmen took pride in their work, wages were stable, and manufacturer overhead was low. Look what the unions did to Colt, and you'll see one reason why S&W has turned to more economical manufacturing techniques (such as MIM pieces/parts).

And think about product liability lawsuits, frivolous or otherwise; government meddling in how a company runs its business (affirmative action, OSHA, etc.); and don't forget the declining work ethic in the US. With all that taken into consideration, its a wonder anything substantial gets produced at all in this country.

All that said... the "new" S&W revolvers are indeed a travesty, in terms of the "old school". I own one example, simply because it fills a niche nothing else can- for MY purposes. I certainly have no intention of buying any more.

But if one was all I had, I would be reasonably sure that it would work when I needed it to.

Well said! A price is what is agreed upon by seller and buyer. Nothing more. Why are Colt Pythons so expensive? Not being made and more people wanting one. I recently picked one up, and could have spent less, but as LSP972 said, it is a piece of American history, as well as a fine revolver, and I MADE THE CHOICE that it was worth what I paid for it. There are several variables involved as to the price increases for S & W revolvers, but the consumer always has the final say. If you can't justify $799.00 (Cabelas) for a Model 36 Chief's Special, then shop elsewhere. Gunsamerica, Gunbroker auction sites, local gun shops, online clasifieds. Pick up a used model and have it refinished, and still be under the retail price.

atc26

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2007
    Livingston, Louisiana
    I own several S & W revolvers, some with and others without mim parts and "the lock", but I don't have a horse in that race because I bought what I wanted and have not been disappointed. It is interesting, however, that other manufacturers are putting out products of much better quality than they did a decade or so past ... and at competitive prices.

I own an AR and HD shotgun, but I'm not a ninja. I appreciate the looks of a nickel pistol and stag grips, but I don't run a cat house. And I enjoy paying a fair price ... but today's market is severe and I really do like to eat! My hope these days is that ammo prices will return to normal so that I won't have to choose between paying the car note or buying ammo.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Its a new era in shooting sports. Blame my hero (yes I'm a stalker!) Jerry Miculek, with all the press he gets, I went from obsessing about Beretta to going through over a dozen wheelguns.
    I can't remember when I last used a 9MM. With PPC, ICORE, USPSA and IDPA having revolver classes people are leaning towards the wheel. The prices, for used IMO, went up primarily due to heavy demand and low supply. More shooters are grabbing wheels, if you want to run the right gun, just find it. I went to revolver for PPC because you can dial in a load for your revolver and not worry about cycling/feeding issues and you have full brass retention which is easy on the pocket. It might also be a regional thing, I have a local shop that caters to LEO and they usually get the carried trade-ins that look like they were used as wheel blocks on the outside but are like new inside and have a bore that was probably cleaned more than shot, and most prices are very reasonable for K frames.

Top Bottom